Computer won't boot to PE, either on hard disk or DVD. It then shuts down after a minute.

Computer won't boot to PE, either on hard disk or DVD. It then shuts...
Author
memills
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Trying to do a restore. Things went from bad to worse.

First, system would not boot using the Reflect PE burned to a DVD. Only a black screen.

Rebooted from hard drive.  Then I selected the option to have the PE boot from the hard drive.

Now not only a black screen, but the computer shuts down after a couple of minutes.

If I try to boot the computer from a Windows 10 rescue CD, same thing happens.

Apparently, the system cannot boot to the PE, either from the DVD or the hard drive.

And, the computer shuts down within a minute of turning it on -- nothing appears on the screen.

I'm screwed.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
Did your Rescue Media previously work on this PC and it's only failing now, or did you never test boot your Rescue Media to check?  When you say "Windows 10 Rescue CD", are you talking about basic Windows 10 install media, or maybe the generic Windows Recovery media you can create within Windows?  If neither one boots, if your Rescue Media was built with WinPE 10 and you never test booted it, it's possible that your PC doesn't boot WinPE 10, in which case if you can still boot from the hard drive, you could try building Rescue Media using WinPE 5.  Or is your system consistently shutting down within a minute no matter what you do at this point?  If so, then there's very likely some other issue, in which case that would have to be solved before even attempting an image restore.  Sometimes systems will perform hard shutdowns like that due to high temperatures, so is it possible that one of the fans in your system is dead or heavily obstructed?

memills
memills
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
jphughan - 5 January 2019 6:43 AM
Did your Rescue Media previously work on this PC and it's only failing now, or did you never test boot your Rescue Media to check?  When you say "Windows 10 Rescue CD", are you talking about basic Windows 10 install media, or maybe the generic Windows Recovery media you can create within Windows?  If neither one boots, if your Rescue Media was built with WinPE 10 and you never test booted it, it's possible that your PC doesn't boot WinPE 10, in which case if you can still boot from the hard drive, you could try building Rescue Media using WinPE 5.  Or is your system consistently shutting down within a minute no matter what you do at this point?  If so, then there's very likely some other issue, in which case that would have to be solved before even attempting an image restore.  Sometimes systems will perform hard shutdowns like that due to high temperatures, so is it possible that one of the fans in your system is dead or heavily obstructed?

I have tried multiple rescue CD's -- Windows 10 Rescue (multiple copies), Reflect PE (made just a few hours before the system apocolypse) , System Suite Rescue CD.  

I presume it was a virus / malware that led me down this path to oblivion.  Initial problem was that I could not do a "Create System Restore" or a Reflect backup or restore due to multiple problems with VSS -- Volume Shadow Backup.   Fixed it several times, but then it kept reappearing.   

But, I could boot from the hard drive.   Then, the fatal mistake:  telling Reflect to boot to the PE from the hard drive. 

At this point, I presume the only way forward is to replace the hard drive with one as close as possible to it, then do a bare metal restore.  Never done that before.    And, then hope that the system will boot to Reflect PE from the DVD.    Right?

Thanks for your help!

memills
memills
...or, instead of buying a new hard disk, might there be a way to attach it to another computer computer (either internally or via a usb enclosure), reformat it, and place it back in the dead computer.   Then, I presume the BIOS will attempt to boot up from the DVD if it can't access the C: drive to boot up.

And, the wacky thing about Windows 10, I have no idea how to get to the BIOS setup screen to check for the boot up device order...

Cheers!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
You can certainly move your hard drive to a new PC, either installing it internally or else connecting it via a SATA to USB adapter (assuming it’s a SATA drive), then run the Reflect image restore on that PC to that drive, and then move it back. No need to format it beforehand since an image restore takes care of that. However, if your PC won’t boot from any external media, reimaging your drive won’t fix that. Your PC’s ability to boot from external devices has no dependencies on the state of the internal drive, or technically whether one is even installed. This may be an odd question, but are you sure you know how to tell your PC to boot from another device? Are you using the one-time boot menu to select another device?

Windows 10 also doesn’t affect how to access your PC’s BIOS interface, since again that has nothing to do with what’s installed on your hard drive — although depending on whether your system uses Legacy or UEFI booting, mucking around with the boot order in the BIOS isn’t the right way to boot from a temporarily connected external device anyway. You can’t do that for UEFI systems, and even on Legacy systems that’s an inefficient way to do it, which is why I mentioned the one-time boot option above.
Edited 5 January 2019 8:13 PM by jphughan
memills
memills
Thanks for the helpful info.

I removed the hard drive.  The computer then booted into BIOS settings just fine.   Not much there in BIOS options these days -- a memory test and hard drive test, and no boot device order option available.  That's it. 

Next step is to put the hard drive in another computer to attempt to do a Reflect restore to that drive.   But, I don't want to muck up the 2nd computer in the process.   My concern is that it may try to select the defective hard disk to boot from. 

Also, the defective hard disk is a SATA drive.  I presume I could buy a USB enclosure for it (if the second computer doesn't support SATA direct connections -- not sure yet), and, hopefully Reflect restore will still be able to copy the image to it?

I presume I will have to buy another license for Reflect in order to use it on the second computer (I don't recall how many computers they allow Home users to install it on). 

Thanks again!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Based on your description, it sounds like you accessed a diagnostics interface, not the actual BIOS settings.  And once again, you should be looking for the one-time boot menu.  What PC model do you have?  Or if it was built from parts, what motherboard do you have?

If you do decide to resort to using another PC, even a drive installed internally should not jump to the top of the boot order.  In terms of Reflect, you can use Reflect Free to perform clones and image restores, so no worries about licenses.  But for reference, Home licenses are only allowed to be used on a single PC, although Macrium allows additional activations at least temporarily specifically for cases like this (and cases where your old PC died unexpectedly), so even if you did need to activate your licensed version elsewhere, you could just do that temporarily, then go to Help > Remove License afterward.

memills
memills
jphughan...  thank you, thank you, thank you!

I installed the crashed hard drive in another computer, downloaded the 30 day trial of Reflect, restored the Reflect backup (from a usb drive) and then, after a successful restore,  installed the hard drive back in the original computer.   Booted up fine!  Whew!!

My suspicion is that a day one virus / malware screwed up the Shadow Volume Copy settings, so that the system could not be backed up / restored.  If so, that's nasty...

I still am confused about how to get to the computer BIOS settings... but that seems minor now.  It is an HP PAVILLION Gaming Desktop 690-00xx /  Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor, 3000 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s) /   Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

Again, thank you for the assistance!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Excellent!  Glad to hear the main issue is resolved.  In terms of accessing the boot menu, reading over the User Guide for that system, it appears that when the system is first starting up, you're supposed to press Esc, then press F9 for boot options.  If that system is anything like other PCs, you'll probably want to just start tapping Esc repeatedly from the moment you press the Power button because some systems get past the point where they allow that type of "interrupt key" before the display has even woken up.  Then hopefully after pressing F9 you'll see a list of boot options.  For booting from a flash drive, make sure that the flash drive is already connected before the system starts up.  Good luck!

memills
memills
...when in doubt, read the manual!   Ha!   Forgot to  check online -- I guess most all computer manuals are online these days.

Macrium should be paying you for your support services!     

Cheers!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...