Need longer "wait" times for backups to Network storage

Author
HolyK
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi !
I finally got some time to investigate random failures of my scheduled FULL backups which are happening twice a week over night (auto wake-up). See the emails bellow - there is no pattern. They just randomly fail.

After some digging and testing i realized what is going on. Thing is that i am using ZFS FS on my NAS and the pool of six disks which holds the backups is configured to suspend after some time (several hours) without activity. Whenever this happens it takes some time (up to 30sec) to spin up all of these disks before system allows to write new data. Apparently that time is too long for Macrium. What is happening here is that the backup just fails before the Mounted network drive on my Workstation become available again. Note that the network drive is NOT disconnected. It just take some time to open the target folder.

Macrium log:
Destination:
Backup Type: Full
File Name: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Backups\System\0827A2AB3C48CA72-00-00.mrimg
Attempting to connect to: '\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Backups\System'
Failure: User - CorrectUser - The specified network name is no longer available.
Failure: User - No user - Access is denied.
Failure: User - anonymous - Access is denied.

Above you can see that at first it tries to use "CorrectUser" for logon. This actually triggers the "Spin up the Drives and make the pool available again" on the NAS side. This takes too long so Macriup give up and tries the "No user" and "anonymous" logon. These two will fail as they're not authorized (expected). After that whole backup fails.

So my request is if you could add a configuration option to manually define how many times Macrium should re-try the backup and how long to wait between each attempt. It might look like this in Defaults->Network

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,

Alex

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
This seems more like a NAS design deficiency than a Reflect deficiency.  It should be able to authenticate requests without having the disks spun up.  But if this doesn't get implemented (or you don't hear from Macrium about some existing way to achieve this, such as a registry entry), you might want to look into having Reflect generate a script that calls your definition file, which you can then customize to have some sort of "wakeup command" sent to your NAS before the Reflect starts, and optionally a wait period.  You can do this by right-clicking your definition file and selecting "Generate [language] script", using your choice of batch file, VBScript, or PowerShell.  Then just edit the script using the method of your choosing, or if you have some sort of utility that you can run in order to achieve this, you can specify it during the script generation wizard as a program to run before job execution.

HolyK
HolyK
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Let me put it this way... The network drive appears "online" in my Win7. NAS (FreeNAS) reports the size (total, free, etc...). When the disks are stand-by (spun-down) and i access either the disk or directly the network share i will not get any time-out nor auth failure errors. I will simply get a classic windows "Waiting/Working" mouse cursor and in couple of seconds content is shown just fine. So apparently Windows waits for more time than Macrium before throwing the towel.

It should be able to authenticate requests without having the disks spun up.

As you can see in the log it does NOT fail on auth of the "CorrectUser". It passes OK but as it wants to travel through the directory path to reach the backup destination it has to wait. And it does not wait for the necessary time. FreeNAS(FreeBSD) spins up the disk sequentially (in order to reduce power surges on PSU - which is desired behavior). Meaning it takes a little bit more time to spin up 6 disks
. Until all of them are up again it is not possible to continue. Client (Macrium/Workstation) is waiting for SMB to provide content of the directory. SMB service waits for Dataset becomes available (to actually read the content). Dataset waits for Zpool. Zpool waits for ZFS/all Disks (HW level) become available. The second and third logon attempt which actually fails on auth seems to be a generic Macrium behavior - i never configured these. Yes technically i could disable the disk spin-downs on my NAS but i have few reasons i want to have it enabled.

you might want to look into having Reflect generate a script that calls your definition file, which you can then customize to have some sort of "wakeup command" sent to your NAS before the Reflect starts,

Well i was thinking about this as well but i am not sure if i can even reach the SMB share before the backup is actually called since these FULL backups are being executed as SYSTEM account.

Alex

Edited 2 January 2019 10:07 PM by HolyK
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
If you created a script and scheduled the script, the script would run as the SYSTEM account too.  But in order to achieve the desired outcome, you could do something like have the script map a network drive letter using some locked down credentials (since you'd have to store those credentials in the script file) just to get the disks to spin up on the NAS, then kill that connection, then optionally have the script pause for a few seconds.  That way by the time the script calls Reflect, the disks will be spun up and it can still open the appropriate network connection with the proper credentials.

Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)Macrium Representative (132 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @HolyK

The default wait time for NAS disk spin up is 5 seconds, this can be modified by modifying the following registry key:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Macrium\Reflect​\Settings
Value: SpinUpTime​
DWORD milliseconds value for spin up, 5000 being the default​

Please be very careful when modifying the Windows Registry, if you are unfamiliar with this process then I highly recommend using a script as jphughan has suggested.​​​​​

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

HolyK
HolyK
Hi @Chris
Thank you for your reply. Those 5sec would explain whole thing. Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I've added the specified registry value. Let's see the results.

Alex

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...