Proper syntax to exclude certain files and folders from backup

Author
HGinDC
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Another newbie question. I have compiled a list of particular files and folders that I'd like to exclude from a F&F backup of my D: drive. The list is below. What is the proper syntax, using wildcards, to ensure that these files and folders are excluded, regardless of where they are on the D: drive? For example, to exclude all .apdisk files wherever they are would I type D:\*\.apdisk? And how do I  exclude folders, like $RECYCLE.BIN? I know rudimentary use of the * wildcard and I have searched the net for some kind of tutorial on how to write a search but I haven't found any that makes sense (to me). All help appreciated.

-Howard​​

FOLDERS
D:\System Volume Information
D:\$RECYCLE.BIN
D:\.bzvol
D:\Media\.TemporaryItems
D:\Media\.TemporaryItems\folders.501
FILES
.apdisk
​._.apdisk
._.TemporaryItems
.DS_Store

​​​​

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For excluding specific folders, my screenshot in my first post of the thread linked below (second post of the thread overall) shows how to do that. You’ve actually already posted in that thread, it seems: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic25315.aspx

For files, include the exact file name — NOT the path — in the file mask exclusion field. Note that if you have multiple files of the same name in different subfolders, all files with that name will be excluded. There isn’t a way to directly exclude a specific file at a specific path, apparently. See this thread: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic23780.aspx
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...