Can I specify a folder-and-file backup souce using only a drive letter?

Author
HGinDC
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I want to make a folder-and-file backup of my D: drive. My D: drive contains only media files (documents, photos, music) sorted into several directories, but no OS files, which are on the C: drive. I assume that in the specification box I can just type "D:", correct? My uncertainty is that the specification box asks me to specify a "folder", and, as we know, "D:" is not a folder name. Will it still work?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
That will work, although you may want to read my posts in the two threads linked below first. One basically describes why an image backup is almost always preferable if you’ll be backing up an entire drive (with one exception), and the other recommends some folders you should exclude if you decide to stick with an F&F backup for an entire drive, namely the Recycle Bin and System Volume information folders.

Image vs F&F backups: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic27219.aspx

Exclusions: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic25315.aspx
Edited 28 December 2018 1:42 AM by jphughan
HGinDC
HGinDC
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
OK then. I also see that you replied to my question on the second thread you cited, which I found shortly after I posted this question. Good to know I was looking in the right places.

Since the contingency you cited (preserving NTFS permissions after a fatal encounter with a bus) don't apply to me (as far as I know since I'm just a home user on a single PC), I will delete the F+F backup and do an image instead.

Thanks!​​​​
HGinDC
HGinDC
HGinDC - 28 December 2018 1:55 AM
OK then. I also see that you replied to my question on the second thread you cited, which I found shortly after I posted this question. Good to know I was looking in the right places.

Since the contingency you cited (preserving NTFS permissions after a fatal encounter with a bus) don't apply to me (as far as I know since I'm just a home user on a single PC), I will delete the F+F backup and do an image instead.

Thanks!​​​​

I was just thinking though: why wouldn't an image backup have the same problems as an F&F backup if things like recycle bin and system volume information (and, in my case, .bzvol folders put there by BackBlaze) ​are part of the image? Should they be excluded in image creation as well?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
There isn’t a great way to exclude particular data from an image backup. You can mess with registry settings that will exclude items from VSS snapshots, but that can have other undesirable side effects. The reason it’s not as much of an issue with an image backup though is that if you’re restoring an entire partition, it’s generally appropriate and desired to bring those folders back to the way they were, and there’s an expectation that nothing currently on the partition will survive. If on the other hand you just mount the backup because you only want certain content back, you wouldn’t select those folders for restoration anyway, so there’s no concern there either. By comparison, in an F&F restore scenario, if you just say, “I want all my files back” and therefore select to restore everything in the backup, you might not realize you’re also restoring those folders. I believe (but admittedly have not tested) that restoring the Recycle Bin folder in that case could blow away items you currently had in your Recycle Bin, which could be a nasty surprise. As for System Volume Information, in general you really don’t want to mess with that just because you’re performing some file-level restore operations, because that folder contains data related to the entire file system. Again, that’s fine in an image restore since you’re rolling back the entire partition and therefore the entire file system, but not so much if you’re just copying files back.
Edited 28 December 2018 2:57 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search