Tie specific drives to specific backups

Author
scauffiel
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think it'd be real handy to be able to specify certain backups to run only if certain backup targets are detected.  As an example, I have five daily backup RDX cartridge drives, labeled Monday through Friday, obviously.  For each of these days I have a full backup scheduled for the first of those days of the month (i.e. a full backup to the Monday drive on the first Monday of the month, a full backup to the Tuesday drive on the first Tuesday, etc.).  I then have differential backups scheduled for each of those days/drives for the second, third and fourth of those days of the month.  So each RDX drive gets a full backup and then up to four differentials in the course of a month. 

However there are days when we're off or I'm out of the area or whatever and the drives don't get swapped - and things can get kind of wonky, especially if I need to restore something.  It'd be nice if I could set the Monday schedule to only run when it detects the Monday drive; the Tuesday schedule to only run with it detects the Tuesday drive, etc.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I don't work with RDX cartridges, so I'm not sure what's available in terms of identification, but if they can have a drive label like normal hard drives, you could have Reflect generate a PowerShell script to run your job, and then customize that baseline script to make the backup job conditional on the drive label of the destination matching an expected value.  I'd be happy to help with that after the holidays if that would be an acceptable solution.  Obviously it's not as easy as if Reflect supported something like this natively, but on the other hand it's possible to implement now.

As it happens, I have this same rotation issue at a client where the office manager is responsible for swapping backup disks and occasionally forgets to do it, but in that case the client decided they'd rather have the backup run, even if it goes to the wrong place and ends up purging an older backup sooner than it would've been normally, than not have the backup at all and therefore be at risk of losing more than a day's worth of work.  It also helps that Reflect's job logs include the label of the destination drive, so if you ever need to go back to see what disk a backup from a particular day actually went to, you can do that.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...