Any advantages for a partition

Author
mcopeland
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I found a post suggesting that for an entire partition, it's more efficient to use an image backup.
Are there any advantages to doing a File and Folder backup in this situation?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
The only advantage I've thought of (and the reason I use an F&F backup for a partition in the case of one client with a file server) is that F&F backups allow you to restore custom NTFS permissions as part of the wizard.  So if you have a corporate file server with a lot of custom, non-inherited permissions on various subfolders that you'd want to restore, F&F makes that easier.  With an image backup, the most commonly employed method to restore data when you don't want to roll back the entire partition is to just mount it and perform a typical copy/paste in Windows Explorer, but if you do that, the files/folders you copy will inherit the permissions of the copy destination; they will NOT bring over their custom permissions.  Technically with an image backup you could mount it and then use specific tools to perform a copy that DOES bring over custom permissions, but when I was thinking about how I was going to document a business contingency plan for my client to be used in a scenario where they might have restore data after I'd been hit by a bus, I didn't want their ability to restore their files with proper security to hinge on their ability to use some other tool properly, especially a command-line tool.

But if you don't need to worry about custom NTFS permissions, I'd absolutely do an image backup.  Diff and Inc backups will likely be smaller since they'll only need to back up the portions of files that have changed rather than backing up the entire changed file again, which means your backup jobs will run more quickly.  And you can properly access files larger than 4GB when an image is mounted.  With an F&F backup, that isn't possible; you have to use the restore wizard to bring those files back properly.

Edited 21 December 2018 8:00 PM by jphughan
mcopeland
mcopeland
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)

Thanks JP. You have been a huge help.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...