v7.2.3954 update Windows Stop Code on restart.

Author
Corsair2
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After updating Reflect v7.2.3906 to v7.2.3954 the initial restart after installation went normally. However, subsequent restarts resulted in a Windows 10 blue screen stop code error. There was no way to recover from this short of restoring my C: drive. Fortunately, the Reflect boot loader was available after the Windows Automatic Recovery started and I was able to restore my Windows 10 install.

I tried the update again to gather info. Here is a pix of the Stop Screen:

As you can see the Stop Error is being caused by the "mrcbt.sys" file. I've searched, and this file is not on my computer. Maybe there is a fault in the update file?

My Windows install is: Windows 10 Pro 1809; OS Build 17763.194. I do not participate in the Windows Insider Program.

Further to this... I've started a support ticket for this event using this info. It seems that no dump files were created for the initial BSOD. The screen shown is the second update attempt to gather this info.

Thanks.

Edited 18 December 2018 5:16 AM by Corsair2
anachromat
anachromat
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
Same here - 7.2.3954 installed today with no apparent issue, but got exactly the same BSOD a few hours later, implicating mrcbt.sys.  However, unlike you, I was able to reboot normally, and disabled CBT in Macrium Reflect.  No problem since then, but ... it's only been an hour Sad:  Same version of Windows as you, and also not in Windows Insider.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
If either of you have dump files generated as part of those BSoDs, it might be helpful to send them to Macrium as part of a support ticket, which you can create by going to https://macrium.freshdesk.com/support/login and clicking "New support ticket" underneath the login fields.  If the dump files are too large, then Macrium will likely respond with an FTP link that you can upload it to.

@Corsair2, mrcbt.sys should be under \Windows\System32\Drivers.  I don't believe that location is indexed by Windows Search, so it might not come up in typical searches.

Edited 17 December 2018 10:17 PM by jphughan
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)Talented Member (158 reputation)
Hello --- I am 1 for 2 --- 

have a win 7  64b and 32b system ---

I had  some  issues in the past with the patch  installer -- so I download the full install  --

v7.2.3954_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe
v7.2.3954_reflect_home_setup_x86.exe

I did not have  any issue with the  64b  update -- all is OK
the 32b update installed ok   but on the reboot, it  BSOD --- and I think the code was x"8E'  ---  not sure of that 
I first thought that  it was  mrcbt.sys  since I  recently got a fix for a memory issue on 32b OS --- but as I see  its effecting other  too 

I also had to  restore from a backup ---  I was lucky since I  just did a backup  before I did the update

anachromat
anachromat
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
anachromat - 17 December 2018 10:09 PM
Same here - 7.2.3954 installed today with no apparent issue, but got exactly the same BSOD a few hours later, implicating mrcbt.sys.  However, unlike you, I was able to reboot normally, and disabled CBT in Macrium Reflect.  No problem since then, but ... it's only been an hour Sad:  Same version of Windows as you, and also not in Windows Insider.

And it happened again, about 10 minutes ago, despite that I had disabled CBT and rebooted.  I just can't make time to hassle with this now, so uninstalled the program.
In both cases I happened to be opening Firefox at the time, but no idea whether that's relevant.  And in both cases a file I was editing at the time, in NoteTab Pro, got corrupted (luckily, that editor makes frequent local backups on its own, so no significant work was lost).  Also in both cases, after rebooting chkdsk (C drive Properties -> Tools -> "check the drive for file system errors" in Win10) found nothing to complain about.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
You might need to completely remove the CBT component rather than just disabling it. To do that, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Select Reflect, click Change, select Modify, and uncheck CBT.
SteveEd
SteveEd
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Corsair2 - 17 December 2018 8:19 PM
After updating Reflect v7.2.3906 to v7.2.3954 the initial restart after installation went normally. However, subsequent restarts resulted in a Windows 10 blue screen stop code error. There was no way to recover from this short of restoring my C: drive. Fortunately, the Reflect boot loader was available after the Windows Automatic Recovery started and I was able to restore my Windows 10 install.

As you can see the Stop Error is being caused by the "mrcbt.sys" file. I've searched, and this file is not on my computer. Maybe there is a fault in the update file?

My Windows install is: Windows 10 Pro 1809; OS Build 17763.194. I do not participate in the Windows Insider Program.

Almost the same for me except I'm able to reboot and operate for a few minutes, maybe more before the next BSOD. I uninstalled cbt and am waiting for a fix. My config is the same as above.

Steve E.
WTD3
WTD3
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Corsair2 - 17 December 2018 8:19 PM

Thanks.

I am having the EXACTLY the same issue as described above...same stop code... ever since updating from v7.2.3906 to v7.2.3954. Also my Windows install is the same...Windows 10 Pro 1809; OS Build 17763.194.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the FULL installer and the BSOD reappears

Gave up and had to reinstall older version image and no problems.

Something is definitely causing this with v 7.2.3954 and needs to be fixed asap.

WTD3

Corsair2
Corsair2
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
jphughan - 17 December 2018 10:17 PM
If either of you have dump files generated as part of those BSoDs, it might be helpful to send them to Macrium as part of a support ticket, which you can create by going to https://macrium.freshdesk.com/support/login and clicking "New support ticket" underneath the login fields.  If the dump files are too large, then Macrium will likely respond with an FTP link that you can upload it to.

@Corsair2, mrcbt.sys should be under \Windows\System32\Drivers.  I don't believe that location is indexed by Windows Search, so it might not come up in typical searches.

Thanks for this reply. I do have the file in the location suggested. Also, I don't have any dump files. I wish I did, I'd send them along.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)Macrium Representative (241 reputation)
Group: Moderators

As per the above, please can anyone getting an MRCBT BSoD open a support ticket​​ and send us the dump file.

​Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...