Release notice enhancement, please

Author
weez
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I really like the notice that appears in the system tray that an update is available, and I find I am updating more frequently because of it.

Can you please include in the release notes a mention if a system reboot will be required to finish installation.  When a system reboot is required, I would much rather know prior to starting the update, rather than have it partially complete, only to find at the end of the update that a reboot is required.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
Macrium started noting this recently.  If you look at the full release history here, you'll see a note to that effect under the heading for 7.2.3897 and 7.2.3858, for example.  But maybe they forgot to note that on the newest release?  The other possible issue I can see is that the reboot requirement might vary both depending on which Reflect components you installed on your system and the release you're updating from.  For example, the CBT and Macrium Image Guardian components both involve drivers, so if those need to be updated, then a reboot requirement is likely.  However, not everyone has those components installed.  And even if you do, consider a scenario where you're running Release A.  Macrium posts Release B that contains a CBT update that will require a reboot, but you don't update to it.  Then Macrium posts Release C that relative to Release B only makes minor changes to other components.  If you had ALREADY updated to Release B, then updating to Release C wouldn't require a reboot.  But if you're still on Release A, then you don't yet have the CBT update introduced in Release B that required a reboot, so in your specific case, updating to Release C will require a reboot because that CBT update will be applied at that time.

I don't know if an installer can be designed to analyze your specific system upfront to determine in advance whether a reboot is going to be required if you choose to proceed.  Although even if that were possible, that would increase the total patch time for ALL cases, unless maybe Macrium added a step where users could choose either "Proceed with the update" or "Analyze whether this will require a reboot and then let me decide", or something.  I've never seen an installer that does this, though, which is what makes me wonder if it might not be feasible to do reliably.

I personally only update Reflect at times when I'd be ok rebooting my system.  Most updates aren't critical anyway, and if the update IS critical, then getting that update applied is probably a good enough reason for me to reboot if needed.

Edited 17 December 2018 9:39 PM by jphughan
weez
weez
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
It would certainly be reasonable to only do updates when a reboot is convenient.

However, since after performing the update, a dialog pops up asking whether to reboot now or wait (to finish installation), I assumed that somehow  the installer detected a reboot is required; if so, perhaps it could do so before updating any files just as easily as after updating the files.

On the other hand, if the "reboot now" is always present regardless of whether or not a reboot is actually required to finish installation, then for me, it would just make sense to wait until I'm ready to reboot before updating (and turn off notifications about an available update --- and on that, it would be nice to only have to dismiss the notice once; I'd rather not turn off notifications, but I'd prefer not to be reminded more than once).

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
The reboot prompt is definitely not shown in all cases. I’ve updated Reflect many times, both using the patch and by downloading the full installer, and in many cases I do not see a prompt to reboot. I think the issue at the moment is that the recently released Reflect 7.2 introduced significantly redesigned versions of Image Guardian and CBT, both of which involve drivers, and there have been bugs discovered in those redesigns, so the latest updates that have been addressing those bugs by updating those drivers have been requiring reboots.

I think the reboot now or later is based on whether the installer ended up needing to update any files that can’t be updated while Windows is running. In that case, the installer would stage those files for updating during the next reboot, but until you actually completed that, your system would keep using the existing versions of those files. Windows Update works this way. But even in that case, by that point the installer has already run its routine, and again I don’t know if the reboot assessment can be made reliably upfront before doing anything. That would certainly be nice, but the fact that it would so OBVIOUSLY be nice and yet seems not to be widely implemented leads me to suspect that it may not be so easy to do.
Edited 17 December 2018 9:41 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...