Adding drivers to Rescue Media Manually

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Great info!  I remember reading another thread here about AMD RAID drivers being problematic, but unfortunately I can't remember the details.  I also found this guide from AMD that (further) confirms that all 3 drivers are expected to be loaded to work with RAID virtual disks properly and offers step-by-step instructions for doing that during a Windows 10 installation for anyone who might need them.  According to that document, it appears that the RCCFG device is classified as a System Device rather than a Storage Controller, which might explain why the Rescue Media wizard is ignoring that device, although if both RCBOTTOM and RCRAID are both treated as storage controllers, I'm not sure why the wizard would have picked up only one in your case. I do however remember a case here where the Rescue Media wizard didn't incorporate an Intel server RAID controller driver because it had determined that WinPE already contained a compatible driver, and although that built-in driver did load for that device (i.e. Reflect did not indicate any "unsupported devices" in the Rescue environment), it didn't actually work because no disks attached to the RAID controller were displayed. I helped that user manually add a driver from Intel to their Rescue Media build to resolve that issue, so perhaps this is a similar case.

Anyhow, even though you've worked around your issue at this point, you might want to consider sending a support ticket to Macrium to advise them of this issue and your current workaround in case they can update the Rescue Media wizard to grab all of the necessary drivers automatically.  You can do that by going to helpdesk.macrium.com and just clicking "New support ticket" under the login fields, because I don't think forum accounts are synced over to the helpdesk system.

Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
jphughan - 19 February 2019 3:21 PM
Mike Kassis - 19 February 2019 6:04 AM
I'm using an SD card to store my image files. I created a boot disk and it boots OK. However, the SD drive does not show.

I can work around this by using a USB adapter for the micro SD card but . . .

Finally, how safe is it to go ahead and attempt an unneeded restore just to test Macrium and the image file? What could go wrong?

Thanks.

I've never tried to add drivers for card readers, but if the Rescue Media wizard doesn't pay attention to those, that might be worth a Wish List thread to request that support.  In the meantime, if you have a driver package for the built-in card reader, you can try manually copying the driver to C:\Boot\Macrium\Drivers\Disk\[New folder named whatever you want] so that it gets included in future Rescue Media builds, or if you're using a Rescue Media flash drive, for faster testing purposes could copy it straight to \Drivers\Disk on the Rescue Media.  If you don't have a driver package, I found a utility a while ago called Double Driver that can enumerate all of the devices in your system and allows you to extract driver packages for them right out of the host OS, so you can try using that to export a suitable driver package.

In terms of the test restore, the worst possible scenario I guess would be that you only have one backup file, and it turns out to be damaged, which causes the restore to fail partway through, thereby leaving you with an unbootable system that no longer contains any usable data, and no usable data in your backup either.  But I consider that possibility sufficiently unlikely that the benefits of a test restore outweigh them.  If you want to take extra precautions, create a new Full backup specifically for this purpose (so that you're not stuck with only one backup), and if you want to be extra careful, you can check the "Verify backup before restoring" checkbox at the last step of the restore wizard so that Reflect won't touch your internal disk until it checks the entire backup file it's about to restore.  But that will significantly extend your overall restore time, especially in a scenario like this where you'll be restoring a backup that was created very recently, which means that thanks to Reflect's Rapid Delta Restore feature, the restore itself will probably only take a few minutes.

B A M !  It worked using Double Driver. THANK YOU!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.2K reputation)
Mike Kassis - 20 February 2019 1:18 AM
B A M !  It worked using Double Driver. THANK YOU!

Excellent!  And similarly to what I recommended to stanshow above, it might be worth submitting a support ticket to Macrium about this to ask them to update the Rescue Media wizard to automatically include drivers for memory card readers, since the Rescue environment can apparently already use them after a driver is manually provided.  Given the capacity and performance of some flash memory cards these days, and the fact that on some laptops they can stay installed full-time without protruding the way a flash drive would, I can see them potentially becoming more attractive as backup destinations, so it would be handy not to have to resort to a manual workaround to make this setup work.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search