Adding drivers to Rescue Media Manually

Author
bluekabylake
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to add drivers to my rescue media to compatibility reasons. Specifically I wish to add some Intel RAID drivers as some of our devices require such a driver. I assume copying the driver files to the "C:\boot\macrium\drivers\Disk" would allow the creation process to automatically detect the drivers but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I have already referenced this article about the topic and am still having issues...

Macrium has no problem detecting the hardware on my current machine which I am using to create the rescue media but I don't seem to find the ability to add other drivers not needed for my current PC.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
That window lists the devices on that actual PC. It does not list all of the drivers in the Drivers folder. However, if you have a suitable driver in the location you mentioned, it will still get copied into Rescue Media you build, and the Rescue Media should load it automatically when booted on a system that has that RAID device. Technically you can add drivers directly to Rescue Media after it’s been built too (if you’re using USB) by just copying the files directly to that Drivers folder on the USB device, but copying them to the corresponding folder on your hard drive will ensure that all Rescue Media built on that PC will include that driver.
bluekabylake
bluekabylake
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
jphughan - 15 December 2018 6:03 PM
That window lists the devices on that actual PC. It does not list all of the drivers in the Drivers folder. However, if you have a suitable driver in the location you mentioned, it will still get copied into Rescue Media you build, and the Rescue Media should load it automatically when booted on a system that has that RAID device. Technically you can add drivers directly to Rescue Media after it’s been built too (if you’re using USB) by just copying the files directly to that Drivers folder on the USB device, but copying them to the corresponding folder on your hard drive will ensure that all Rescue Media built on that PC will include that driver.

Thnx for the clarification...

Once I have created the rescue media ISO, I assume it's safe to delete the "boot" folder from my C: drive?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
If you don’t intend to use the recovery boot menu option, you can, but it’ll get created again anyway if you ever build Rescue Media again, such as after a Reflect update.
bluekabylake
bluekabylake
jphughan - 15 December 2018 6:53 PM
If you don’t intend to use the recovery boot menu option, you can, but it’ll get created again anyway if you ever build Rescue Media again, such as after a Reflect update.

Good to know...Thnx
Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
I'm using an SD card to store my image files. I created a boot disk and it boots OK. However, the SD drive does not show.

I can work around this by using a USB adapter for the micro SD card but . . .

Finally, how safe is it to go ahead and attempt an unneeded restore just to test Macrium and the image file? What could go wrong?

Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Mike Kassis - 19 February 2019 6:04 AM
I'm using an SD card to store my image files. I created a boot disk and it boots OK. However, the SD drive does not show.

Finally, how safe is it to go ahead and attempt an unneeded restore just to test Macrium and the image file? What could go wrong?

Thanks.

I've never tried to add drivers for card readers, but if the Rescue Media wizard doesn't pay attention to those, that might be worth a Wish List thread to request that support.  In the meantime, if you have a driver package for the built-in card reader, you can try manually copying the driver to C:\Boot\Macrium\Drivers\Disk\[New folder named whatever you want] so that it gets included in future Rescue Media builds, or if you're using a Rescue Media flash drive, for faster testing purposes could copy it straight to \Drivers\Disk on the Rescue Media.  If you don't have a driver package, I found a utility a while ago called Double Driver that can enumerate all of the devices in your system and allows you to extract driver packages for them right out of the host OS, so you can try using that to export a suitable driver package.

In terms of the test restore, the worst possible scenario I guess would be that you only have one backup file, and it turns out to be damaged, which causes the restore to fail partway through, thereby leaving you with an unbootable system that no longer contains any usable data, and no usable data in your backup either.  But I consider that possibility sufficiently unlikely that the benefits of a test restore outweigh them.  If you want to take extra precautions, create a new Full backup specifically for this purpose (so that you're not stuck with only one backup), and if you want to be extra careful, you can check the "Verify backup before restoring" checkbox at the last step of the restore wizard so that Reflect won't touch your internal disk until it checks the entire backup file it's about to restore.  But that will significantly extend your overall restore time, especially in a scenario like this where you'll be restoring a backup that was created very recently, which means that thanks to Reflect's Rapid Delta Restore feature, the restore itself will probably only take a few minutes.

Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
jphughan - 19 February 2019 3:21 PM

Thanks.

I've never tried to add drivers for card readers, but if the Rescue Media wizard doesn't pay attention to those, that might be worth a Wish List thread to request that support.  In the meantime, if you have a driver package for the built-in card reader, you can try manually copying the driver to C:\Boot\Macrium\Drivers\Disk\[New folder named whatever you want] so that it gets included in future Rescue Media builds, or if you're using a Rescue Media flash drive, for faster testing purposes could copy it straight to \Drivers\Disk on the Rescue Media.  If you don't have a driver package, I found a utility a while ago called Double Driver that can enumerate all of the devices in your system and allows you to extract driver packages for them right out of the host OS, so you can try using that to export a suitable driver package.

In terms of the test restore, the worst possible scenario I guess would be that you only have one backup file, and it turns out to be damaged, which causes the restore to fail partway through, thereby leaving you with an unbootable system that no longer contains any usable data, and no usable data in your backup either.  But I consider that possibility sufficiently unlikely that the benefits of a test restore outweigh them.  If you want to take extra precautions, create a new Full backup specifically for this purpose (so that you're not stuck with only one backup), and if you want to be extra careful, you can check the "Verify backup before restoring" checkbox at the last step of the restore wizard so that Reflect won't touch your internal disk until it checks the entire backup file it's about to restore.  But that will significantly extend your overall restore time, especially in a scenario like this where you'll be restoring a backup that was created very recently, which means that thanks to Reflect's Rapid Delta Restore feature, the restore itself will probably only take a few minutes.

Mike Kassis
Mike Kassis
jphughan - 19 February 2019 3:21 PM

Thanks.

Super. Thanks so much
stanshow
stanshow
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
jphughan - 15 December 2018 6:03 PM

Thanks jphughan, this helped me on a slightly different issue that you might want to add to your notes should someone else have similar problems.

I've recently built a new workstation running a Ryzen 2700X  on an Asus Crosshair VII Hero motherboard.  I upgraded to the latest BIOS as of this writing for the board (ver. 1201), and installed Windows 10 setting up two NVMe drives in RAID 0 for the OS, and another 4 SATA drives in RAID 10 for data.  Installing windows required adding at install time three additional drivers - RCBOTTOM, RCRAID, and RCCFG.  Per the instructions from Asus, the individual physical drives showed until I loaded RCBOTTOM, then the raid volumes as configured in BIOS appeared as I loaded RCRAID.

Following Asus instructions, Windows 10 installed fine and my various RAID volumes were all accessible as needed.  I installed Reflect and built Rescue Media using a USB stick.  When I booted from the drive, none of my drives (physical or raid virtual) would show as either source or destination. 

While trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed that only RCBOTTOM was listed in the list of drivers included in the Rescue Media build.  None of the other drivers that I installed manually during Windows installation were listed. For some reason or another, it seems that the Rescue Media build process is not picking up the RCRAID driver, which is needed to see the configured RAID volumes.

I was having a hard time finding how to add drivers manually until I found this thread (easy once you know how).  I added the RCRAID folder from the drivers I used during Windows install to the disk drivers area on the Macrium c:\boot directories.  Rebuilt the Rescue Media to a USB stick, and gave it a try.  My RAID volumes all show as expected, and I was able to copy a drive image of my system volume over to my data volume.

I don't know if this will apply to other using AMD raid drivers, but though I'd document it here should others have similar issues.   

Edited 19 February 2019 11:38 PM by stanshow
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...