Backup a network share or mapped drive.

Author
PeterSM
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi I wish to backup a NAS drive which is presented as either a  mapped network drive or via UNC.
I cannot browse the network to find the folder.
Is there a way to do this.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Whether you're identifying a NAS share as the source of a backup or the destination, you should always use UNC paths rather than mapped drives.  It's easier to maintain and less error-prone since mapped dives are per-user and can be changed around to different letters.  But the ability to just browse the network became more complicated starting with Windows 10 1709.  Basically, that capability (originally known as Network Neighborhood) relied on a very old and very insecure protocol called SMBv1.  That was disabled by default starting with Windows 10 1709.  And I'm just now realizing that because the File & Folder browse dialogue uses the simple tree browser rather than the file browser, the typical suggestion of typing in just the first part of a path into the Name field and browsing from then on won't work.  In that case I would suggest doing it in Windows Explorer instead, i.e. type at least the name of your NAS as the first part of your UNC path (e.g. \\MYNAS) into the Address bar in Windows Explorer, then browse to the folder you want to back up.  When you're viewing it, click the Address bar again to make it selectable text, and copy/paste that into Reflect's "Folder to back up" field

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...