HP Envy not recongnising Rescue Media

Author
duncan.mcdonald
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there
I've built a rescue media USB pen drive on an HP Z4 Workstation, using Reflect 7.2.3906, Windows 10 1803.
The rescue media has been built with:
  • 32-bit Windows PE 10 (WADK)
  • No options selected (don't need Wi-Fi, bit locker support, legacy EFI support etc).
  • Device drivers have been left "as-is" - I'm assuming this should be ok since both the PC I've built the rescue media on and the Laptop are less than 6 months old.
I've then built an HP Envy by clean-installing Windows 10 build 1809 (yes, THAT one!) and removing all existing partitions from the disk.
I cannot for the life of me get that Laptop to boot to the rescue media.

So far I have tried:

• Switching between UEFI mode and Legacy mode
  • In UEFI mode I only get the option to boot to the fixed disk or choose an "EFI file" > if I choose this option I can navigate down through the folders on the USB pen to the \EFI\ Boot\ folder and then choose the file "bootia32.efi".
  • Doing so simply returns the screen the boot selection menu without any errors (in other words, it appears to try but clearly fails for some reason).
  • I have tried a build of the USB pen using 64Bit, WinRE and older Win PE 5.0 with no success.
  • In legacy mode, the Laptop reports that it can see the USB pen I've inserted, but selecting it I get a screen stating "reboot and select proper boot device" over and over.
Any ideas?
Duncan

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
First, if you're using 64-bit Windows 10 on your system, which I assume you are if the system is that new, then you shouldn't be using 32-bit Windows PE.  That adds a needless complication, but more importantly 64-bit is required for booting in UEFI mode, and if your system boots its normal OS in UEFI mode, you should also boot your Rescue Media in UEFI mode rather than Legacy mode.  Not only is it more convenient not to have to switch modes when you want to use Rescue Media, but the Rescue Media's "Fix Boot Problems" works differently based on how the Rescue Media was booted -- so if you boot in Legacy mode, it won't run the correct boot fixes for an installed OS that you'll want to boot in UEFI mode.

In terms of getting your USB device to boot, are you trying to accomplish that by going into the BIOS to muck with the boot order or are you accessing the system's one-time boot menu option?  You should be doing the latter on a UEFI system.  Temporarily attached USB devices won't show up in the BIOS Setup's boot device list of a UEFI system.  You mentioned that you did a clean install of Windows 10 on this system.  Did you achieve that by creating Windows installation media on a USB flash drive and booting your system from it?  If so, what happens if you build Rescue Media to that same flash drive and try to boot your system from it the same way?  It should work the same way since the Windows 10 Setup environment runs on WinPE 10, just like Rescue Media.  Granted, Windows 10 1809 Setup would run on WinPE 10 1809 rather than WinPE 10 1709 or 1803 as you would've used for your Rescue Media, but that shouldn't make this level of behavioral difference.

If your USB device doesn't even show up in the one-time boot menu while UEFI is enabled, then try another flash drive model and/or other USB ports on the system.  I've seen flash drives that for some reason can't be used as boot devices at least on certain systems, and I've seen systems that will only boot from certain USB ports.

Edited 13 December 2018 6:13 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
In addition to the technical notes/suggestions above, why are you building Rescue Media on one PC that you'll be using on another, rather than just building the Rescue Media on the system you'll be using it with?  That wouldn't account for your boot issues, but fyi although in many cases that should work fine, you can't always assume that the driver setup from one system will be adequate for the other system.  You might find that you can't see your internal storage and/or use networking when working with "foreign" Rescue Media.  Additionally, a paid Reflect license (and therefore Rescue Media generated by a paid version of Reflect) is only allowed to be used with a single PC, except when permanently migrating to a new PC.  If you own separate Reflect licenses for each PC and you can get a single Rescue Media build to work on both systems, then no worries, but otherwise you should install Reflect Free on the Envy and use Rescue Media generated by that version on that system.

Edited 13 December 2018 4:31 PM by jphughan
duncan.mcdonald
duncan.mcdonald
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
jphughan - 13 December 2018 4:10 PM
First, if you're using 64-bit Windows 10 on your system, which I assume you are if the system is that new, then you shouldn't be using 32-bit Windows PE.  That adds a needless complication, but more importantly 64-bit is required for booting in UEFI mode, and if your system boots its normal OS in UEFI mode, you should also boot your Rescue Media in UEFI mode rather than Legacy mode.  Not only is it more convenient not to have to switch modes when you want to use Rescue Media, but the Rescue Media's "Fix Boot Problems" works differently based on how the Rescue Media was booted -- so if you boot in Legacy mode, it won't run the correct boot fixes for an installed OS that you'll want to boot in UEFI mode.

In terms of getting your USB device to boot, are you trying to accomplish that by going into the BIOS to muck with the boot order or are you accessing the system's one-time boot menu option?  You should be doing the latter on a UEFI system.  Temporarily attached USB devices won't show up in the BIOS Setup's boot device list of a UEFI system.  You mentioned that you did a clean install of Windows 10 on this system.  Did you achieve that by creating Windows installation media on a USB flash drive and booting your system from it?  If so, what happens if you build Rescue Media to that same flash drive and try to boot your system from it the same way?  It should work the same way since the Windows 10 Setup environment runs on WinPE 10, just like Rescue Media.  Granted, Windows 10 1809 Setup would run on WinPE 10 1809 rather than WinPE 10 1709 or 1803 as you would've used for your Rescue Media, but that shouldn't make this level of behavioral difference.

If your USB device doesn't even show up in the one-time boot menu while UEFI is enabled, then try another flash drive model and/or other USB ports on the system.  I've seen flash drives that for some reason can't be used as boot devices at least on certain systems, and I've seen systems that will only boot from certain USB ports.

Hi there,

Thanks for the pointers:

I've tried 64bit build of the rescue media and this hasn't made a difference.
I'm booting in UEFI mode on the Laptop and I'm using the one-time boot menu.
The Windows 10 install was indeed done from a USB pen "from scratch" so to speak and that pen boots perfectly normally using the one-time boot menu - it's recognised and works perfectly.
The other pen I'm struggling with has been used on countless other PC's (originally using Macrium Free) so I'm confident the hardware is working fine.

I'll certainly try the suggestions of checking over the device drivers in case they need to be updated.

Regarding the license - I've only every really used the Free version in the way you describe on each PC, in this instance I'm looking for a method by which I can clone computers to use in a mass deployment scenario in my workplace - is there an alternative method you would recommend I do, both from a practical perspective and a licensing one? Historically and for context, I always used to use Acronis to image a PC and then deploy it as a "gold" template to other machines - but have found Macrium far more versatile and compatible with newer hardware.

Thanks

Duncan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Just to isolate variables, if you've got a USB flash drive that worked for Windows 10 installation on your Envy, can you try using that specific flash drive for your Rescue Media and seeing whether it works on the Envy?  And ideally create the Rescue Media on the Envy in the first place, although again that shouldn't make the difference between whether the flash drive can even start to boot

In terms of your use case though, the only ways to do that while complying with the licensing policy would be to own paid Reflect licenses (Workstation or better) for every system you'll be cloning/restoring your gold image onto, or else to own a Deployment Kit license described here.  The Free version specifically excludes this use, as described in the popup text that appears when you mouseover the "i" icon next to the Licensed for Commercial Use on this page.

Edited 14 December 2018 3:03 PM by jphughan
duncan.mcdonald
duncan.mcdonald
Thanks for that - I'll try the same pen, you never know!
And thanks for the Deployment Kit info - I didn't realise this was a thing so will look into that.

Duncan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...