CBT current index set time later than current time on system clock?

Author
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Took an image just now and saw this in the log:

CBT Init Fail Stale - Current index set time - 12/05/2018 8:37 PM, Image index set time - 12/04/2018 5:44 PM

Now, the CBT init fail makes sense because I had done a boot from the Windows Reflect boot menu option.  What I don't understand is the backup was begun at around 4:25 PM on 12-05-2018, so why is the current index set time 8:37 PM?

Granted, I know nothing about CBT or VSS or how the two interact, if they even do.  So, maybe this is normal, but I'm slightly confused.

Thanks!

dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Hm, odd.  I received an e-mail saying there was a reply to this topic, but I don't see one.  Maybe it was deleted?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
dbminter - 6 December 2018 5:27 PM
Hm, odd.  I received an e-mail saying there was a reply to this topic, but I don't see one.  Maybe it was deleted?

Sorry, I posted accidentally. Could you post up the part of the log that shows from 'Starting Image -' to the 'CBT Init Fail'. Many Thanks

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 6 December 2018 5:32 PM by Nick
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Ah, good.  Thought maybe I'd lost my mind there for a bit.  Smile  Anyway, here's the log you requested, but having gone over it, I don't see how it will really help.  But, I'm not tech support.  Wink

Starting Image - Wednesday, December 05, 2018 16:24:53
Initializing
Write Method: Using Direct Disk I/O
Destination Drive: Backups (J) - Free Space 1.22 TB
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 1024.0 MB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Volume Snapshots Created
Analyzing file system on volume C:
Analyzing file system on volume F:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saving Partition - Windows 10 1803 (C)
Reading File System Bitmap
CBT Init Fail Stale - Current index set time - 12/05/2018 8:37 PM, Image index set time - 12/04/2018 5:43 PM

Edited 6 December 2018 5:38 PM by dbminter
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
I'm going to take a guess because I just enjoy puzzles like this.  My theory is that the current index set time is displayed in GMT, either because Reflect isn't converting that value to the user's time zone or (seems less likely) because that time stamp is stored somewhere on disk as a value that doesn't have a concept of time zone at all, and it was generated by the recovery boot menu environment that for some reason was using GMT, and now Reflect within Windows that's using your local time zone doesn't have any way to know that the timestamp in question was based on a different time zone, and therefore has no way to convert it properly.

And for that matter, does the "image index set time" of 12/4/18 at 5:43 PM seem about right for the time the previous backup in your set began?

Lastly, since I never noticed this before, it might be nice to standardize the the time and date formatting between the "Starting Image" line and the CBT messages.  It looks like the latter is coded to be formatted appropriately for the user's locale.  Could that be applied to the former?

Edited 6 December 2018 6:14 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
The previous backups of those 2 partition were an Incremental taken at 11:33:42 AM on 12-4 and the last Full taken at 9:45:29 AM on 12-4.  The last backup in that set on that day was an Incremental taken at 4:21:06 PM.  The value of 5:43 PM seems completely random.  11:33:42 AM is the only time remotely close to 5:43 PM in that backup set for that day.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi dbminter,

Please could you open a support ticket at​ http://www.macrium.com/support so that we can collect some more information?

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support.​​​​

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
dbminter - 6 December 2018 7:04 PM
The previous backups of those 2 partition were an Incremental taken at 11:33:42 AM on 12-4 and the last Full taken at 9:45:29 AM on 12-4.  The last backup in that set on that day was an Incremental taken at 4:21:06 PM.  The value of 5:43 PM seems completely random.  11:33:42 AM is the only time remotely close to 5:43 PM in that backup set for that day.

The value of 5:43 PM seems completely random. 11:33:42 AM is the only time remotely close to 5:43 PM in that backup set for that day.

The CBT index time is never the time of a backup. It's the time that the index was reset, which is when the file system was mounted without the CBT driver.  This issue looks like a conversion problem from UTC, however, it's just a display issue.  If you can open a support ticket we can delve deeper to see what's going on. Thanks

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 7 December 2018 10:03 AM by Nick
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
jphughan - 6 December 2018 6:13 PM
I'm going to take a guess because I just enjoy puzzles like this.  My theory is that the current index set time is displayed in GMT, either because Reflect isn't converting that value to the user's time zone or (seems less likely) because that time stamp is stored somewhere on disk as a value that doesn't have a concept of time zone at all, and it was generated by the recovery boot menu environment that for some reason was using GMT, and now Reflect within Windows that's using your local time zone doesn't have any way to know that the timestamp in question was based on a different time zone, and therefore has no way to convert it properly.

And for that matter, does the "image index set time" of 12/4/18 at 5:43 PM seem about right for the time the previous backup in your set began?

Lastly, since I never noticed this before, it might be nice to standardize the the time and date formatting between the "Starting Image" line and the CBT messages.  It looks like the latter is coded to be formatted appropriately for the user's locale.  Could that be applied to the former?

Got a reply back from tech support.  The problem is because "times in the CBT output are being reported in UTC rather than local time."  They said this would be addressed in a future update.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...