Error 1450 on Vista x86 since version v7.2.3897

Author
pimjoosten
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I still have a Vista 32-bit system that I am keeping alive so that I can upgrade it to Windows 7 (hopefully soon). I am not really doing anything with that laptop right now, but because it is setup very well I really do not want to install this computer all over again.

In prospect of this Windows 7 upgrade I installed Macrium Reflect Home v7.1.3317 about 2 months ago. I was able to make images without any issue, but ever since updating to v7.2.3897 I (almost) always got the error “Back-up aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error code 1450 - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.” Occasionally I could make an image without errors when made directly after rebooting the computer. After a lot of googling I found this page and changed the registry. I did however need to set the value for the registry key PoolUsageMaximum at 40 instead of 60 in order to get rid of the error messages. This is not described in the Macrium KB article, but in a KB article from Microsoft (and many other articles on the internet about this error).

I suspect this error is caused by the new CBT driver, because v7.23897 contained a new CBT driver. Even though I was able to solve this issue changing the registry as described above, I want to report this to make Macrium aware that v7.2.3897 and v7.23906 apparently need more resources than earlier verions, which might lead to this error more often than before.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Just in case you're not aware before you undertake an OS upgrade that it sounds like you're not looking forward to anyway, Microsoft will stop providing updates even for Windows 7 in just over a year (January 2020), including security updates, and if XP's retirement is any indication, browser vendors will stop providing updates shortly thereafter, at which point Windows 7 will arguably be unsafe to use on the Internet -- and eventually the lack of browser updates will mean some things simply won't work.  If you've ever had the pleasure of trying to get a new installation of XP SP3 working on the Internet recently, it's a bit of a challenge because it doesn't support multiple technologies that are now widely required on the Internet today.  So if you're happy with how your Vista system is currently set up, despite not getting any Windows security updates, then upgrading to Windows 7 doesn't buy you a whole lot at this stage.  And unless you purchase a Windows 7 upgrade a while ago and have simply delayed installing it until now, I'm not even sure you can buy a Windows 7 upgrade license anymore.  Unfortunately there is no in-place upgrade path from Vista to anything newer than Windows 7 either, though; you'd have to perform a clean install to move to 8.x or 10.  Given all of that combined with the fact that it sounds like your PC has relatively little memory, you may want to keep your system as-is until you move to something else entirely.  At that point you'll still of course have to set up a brand new system from scratch, but at least you'll be rewarded with being able to use a newer system.

Edited 5 December 2018 2:40 PM by jphughan
pimjoosten
pimjoosten
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Than
jphughan - 5 December 2018 2:37 PM
Just in case you're not aware before you undertake an OS upgrade that it sounds like you're not looking forward to anyway, Microsoft will stop providing updates even for Windows 7 in just over a year (January 2020), including security updates, and if XP's retirement is any indication, browser vendors will stop providing updates shortly thereafter, at which point Windows 7 will arguably be unsafe to use on the Internet -- and eventually the lack of browser updates will mean some things simply won't work.  If you've ever had the pleasure of trying to get a new installation of XP SP3 working on the Internet recently, it's a bit of a challenge because it doesn't support multiple technologies that are now widely required on the Internet today.  So if you're happy with how your Vista system is currently set up, despite not getting any Windows security updates, then upgrading to Windows 7 doesn't buy you a whole lot at this stage.  And unless you purchase a Windows 7 upgrade a while ago and have simply delayed installing it until now, I'm not even sure you can buy a Windows 7 upgrade license anymore.  Unfortunately there is no in-place upgrade path from Vista to anything newer than Windows 7 either, though; you'd have to perform a clean install to move to 8.x or 10.  Given all of that combined with the fact that it sounds like your PC has relatively little memory, you may want to keep your system as-is until you move to something else entirely.  At that point you'll still of course have to set up a brand new system from scratch, but at least you'll be rewarded with being able to use a newer system.

Thank you for your fast reply. I am well aware of the lifetimes of the various Windows versions and was trying to avoid a reply like yours by writing the first paragraph. I have gotten so much used to sometimes even getting slammed for having one of my systems still on Vista even as long ago as three years, before Vista was EOL. Thank you for your kind post and tone in contrast to that.

I already have 4 computers, but the setup of this particular system is (still) very valuable to me. I already have a Windows 7 license for it, it also already has a digital license for Windows 10. I have upgraded another Vista system to Windows 7 before, so I know what is involved. This particular Windows Vista installation was on another computer once and I moved it to a nice ex-lease Dell Latitude XT3 convertible earlier this year. The system has 4 GB of memory, but, as you are aware, a 32-bit system can only use about 3.2 GB of that. That has never been an issue for me before. All my other systems are 64-bit.

In short: I made a deliberate decision to move this system to Windows 7 and probably to Windows 10 after that. That also explains why it is a 32-bit system. Because 32-bit still works (some, although few, new computers apparently still come with 32-bit Windows) I will keep it that way. However, because most systems nowadays are 64-bit, I thought I would inform Macrium that the new CBT driver may cause more problems on 32-bit systems than before.

pimjoosten
pimjoosten
Following this post I received a new mrcbt driver (v7.2.3927) from Macrium, which solved the issue. So if you have this "error 1450" problem too, a likely soon to be released update will solve it.

layman
layman
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
pimjoosten - 8 December 2018 3:35 PM
Following this post I received a new mrcbt driver (v7.2.3927) from Macrium, which solved the issue. So if you have this "error 1450" problem too, a likely soon to be released update will solve it.

I've encountered this problem with both 7.2.3897 and 3906.  It does appear to be related to CBT since I've not had the problem on machines where CBT is not installed.  
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...