Bug: 2 full backups made one day.

Author
Laszló52
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
2 full backups made one day. For the second time. The first time was last month. Why? Time change: from daylight saving time to standard time. Was that the reason? The bug should be corrected. Thanks.

Edited 4 December 2018 6:38 AM by Laszló52
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Yes, it appears to be related to the transition to or from Daylight Savings.  I wrote more detail about it here, but in short this is a bug with Windows Task Scheduler, not Reflect, so fixing it would involve either Microsoft doing so or Macrium writing their own scheduling engine so that Reflect didn't use Windows Task Scheduler.

Laszló52
Laszló52
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
jphughan - 4 December 2018 1:32 PM
Yes, it appears to be related to the transition to or from Daylight Savings.  I wrote more detail about it here, but in short this is a bug with Windows Task Scheduler, not Reflect, so fixing it would involve either Microsoft doing so or Macrium writing their own scheduling engine so that Reflect didn't use Windows Task Scheduler.

Does Microsoft know this bug?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Laszló52 - 4 December 2018 2:39 PM
Does Microsoft know this bug?

Yes, there are several reports on their TechNet Forums about this behavior and the other even more problematic behavior I summarized in the thread I linked earlier.  As I said in that thread, reports of this issue date back at least to Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 and I believe even earlier (maybe XP?)  And these issues around time changes aren't unique to Windows Task Scheduler, fyi.  I remember when I supported a deployment of Symantec Backup Exec long ago, which used its own scheduling engine, the backup jobs would stop working after every time change until I restarted all of the Backup Exec services.  Then there are stories about large-scale crashes due to "leap seconds" that occur every once in a while, as described in this article.  I'm not a software developer, so I don't know why dealing with time changes like this is such a challenge, but apparently it is.

Edited 4 December 2018 3:23 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
And, for good measure, every time change it happens, I tell Microsoft via the Feedback Hub about it.  They simply don't care to fix it and I doubt they ever will.

Interestingly enough, on the purely practical side of things, you know the one thing that computers do absolutely the worst at of all things they do?  It's keep an accurate track of time.  If Windows didn't phone home just about every day to a date and time server to get the correct time for your time zone, your clock would be vastly off.  My Playstation 3 is never connected to the Internet so I have to manually change its clock every time the clock changes.  When I do, the time is way many minutes faster than it should be because computers are terrible at keeping track of time.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...