Macrium Reflect - Download Agent: Error Code 1

Author
wpage
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When attempting to install Macrium Reflect Home I get the following error message.

The Macrium Reflect Download Agent says ‘Download Error’ and specifically mentions Error Code 1. The Macrium website mentions the below:

Resolving Download Issues
Download Failures (Error Code: 1)

Download failures can generally be attributed to either an unstable internet connection or anti virus/malware software interfering with the download. Please try the following steps to resolve the issue
Reboot the computer to clear any internet cache files
Disable anti virus/malware software for the duration of the download and installation of Macrium Reflect.
Download the Macrium Reflect installer on it's own. If the internet connection is unstable, the prolonged download of WinPE components can be postponed and attempted from within the Macrium Reflect software
Perform a CleanBoot of Microsoft Windows (see: this link for more help) to remove any third party components possibly affecting the download
Download the installer on another computer

I don’t believe my Antivirus Software is causing the problem and clearing my cache hasn't done anything. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Macrium wouldn't have posted a webpage suggesting disabling AV to address that error code if that hadn't been found to resolve the problem in a meaningful number of cases, so before asking for other suggestions, try all of the suggestions that are already available to you, even if you don't believe your particular AV is a problem case.  Multiple third-party AV solutions have been confirmed to interfere with various operations of Reflect, including blocking downloads, blocking or dramatically slowing down backup operations, and blocking Rescue Media creation.

Edited 3 December 2018 10:14 PM by jphughan
wpage
wpage
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 3 December 2018 10:09 PM
Macrium wouldn't have posted a webpage suggesting disabling AV to address that error code if that hadn't been found to resolve the problem in a meaningful number of cases, so before asking for other suggestions, try all of the suggestions that are already available to you, even if you don't believe your particular AV is a problem case.  Multiple third-party AV solutions have been confirmed to interfere with various operations of Reflect, including blocking downloads, blocking or dramatically slowing down backup operations, and blocking Rescue Media creation.

I'm not receiving any types of alerts from my AV though. I would think if it was the AV it would be alerting me that it had stopped the download from happening.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
You would think, but that is not always the case. In most of the situations I described above, AV gave no indication that it was interfering with anything. It shouldn’t be difficult to temporarily disable your AV, or even better exclude the download agent EXE and the download folder from scanning.
wpage
wpage
jphughan - 3 December 2018 10:31 PM
You would think, but that is not always the case. In most of the situations I described above, AV gave no indication that it was interfering with anything. It shouldn’t be difficult to temporarily disable your AV, or even better exclude the download agent EXE and the download folder from scanning.

Thanks for the feedback. I did disable the AV and that doesn't appear to have fixed the issue. In download file log it appears it is looking for a file path and not finding it. I'm not sure how to correct this...

I've also tried emailing support@macrium.com but my email immediately bounced back...

Macrium Reflect download agent v7.2.3794
Architecture: x64
Loglevel: 0
Acquire features file
Http fetch features file
Download Type: Licensed Edition
Download option: Reflect Installer Only
Component count: 1
Downloading component: Macrium Reflect installer
Download file: v7.2.3906_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe from set: installer
To: C:\Program Files\Macrium Reflect\Macrium\v7.2.3906_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe
INFO: Resume file found for C:\Program Files\Macrium Reflect\Macrium\v7.2.3906_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe
INFO: 0 bytes found in resume file
File system supports sparse files
ERROR: Failed to open target downloaad file when copying resume file data
File: C:\Program Files\Macrium Reflect\Macrium\v7.2.3906_reflect_home_setup_x64.exe
Reason: (3) The system cannot find the path specified.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You shouldn’t be trying to download to Program Files. You’re just downloading the actual installer file here, which will then run and ask you where to install the application itself, but the installer should just be downloaded to somewhere like your Downloads or Desktop folder. I believe one of those is the default location? Or if it defaulted to that location, did you manually copy the download agent to Program Files\Macrium Reflect before running it? That shouldn’t be done either.

Anyhow, the issue you’re having is probably caused by the fact that the download agent isn’t running with admin rights (since that’s not necessary for its purpose) but admin rights are required to write to Program Files, and therefore the agent can’t download the installer to that location
Edited 3 December 2018 11:48 PM by jphughan
wpage
wpage
jphughan - 3 December 2018 11:31 PM
You shouldn’t be trying to download to Program Files. You’re just downloading the actual installer file here, which will then run and ask you where to install the application itself, but the installer should just be downloaded to somewhere like your Downloads or Desktop folder. I believe one of those is the default location? Or if it defaulted to that location, did you manually copy the download agent to Program Files\Macrium Reflect before running it? That shouldn’t be done either.

Anyhow, the issue you’re having is probably caused by the fact that the download agent isn’t running with admin rights (since that’s not necessary for its purpose) but admin rights are required to write to Program Files, and therefore the agent can’t download the installer to that location

Thank you! I was able to get into contact with Macrium Support and they sent me a direct link to the installer. Working on the install now!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...