MRCBT Errors since installing V7.2.3897

Author
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Since the 27th November I have started seeing these sort of events events for MRCBT:

IRP_MJ_READ failed on device \Device\HarddiskVolume20 with status 0xC0210000 Event ID 1013
IRP_MJ_READ failed on device \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10 with status 0x80000010 Event ID 1013

they coincide with the installation of: MR v7.2.3897 and continue into v7.2.3906. v7.2.3906 was installed on the 30th November.

I have attached a filtered event log as the errors associated seem to have a number of reasons.

I hope the event log is useful.

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V1809 B17763.194 MR v7.2.3906

Attachments
MacriumReflect_EventID1013.zip (2 views, 165.00 KB)
Homer712
Homer712
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
I can confirm this error via event viewer: IRP_MJ_READ failed on device \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5 with status 0x80000010

Started on Nov. 27th and continues to this day, (75) errors in the last (7) days, (18) in the last (24) hours, and (6) in the last hour. The start of these errors each day coincides with the schedule I have set for a disk image, 7:15 AM. Errors begin at 7:15:50 AM or so, and continue.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)
Group: Moderators
​Although these EventLog entries were generated by CBT, the errors themselves were generated by the underlying disk, in response to an attempt to read data.

Status 0xC0210000L indicates that the volume was locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption and status 0x80000010L indicates that the volume (shadow copy) was taken offline.

​​These codes do not technically classify as errors and can safely be ignored. ​​They do not indicate an issue with either the disk or with CBT.

​We are aware that CBT is too aggressive in its generation of these events and we will address this in the next update.

​Apologies for any unnecessary alarm this has caused.

​Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Don North
Don North
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)

Another thread that was started for this same topic:  https://forum.macrium.com/Topic26883.aspx

RayG
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)
JamieW - 3 December 2018 7:14 PM
​Although these EventLog entries were generated by CBT, the errors themselves were generated by the underlying disk, in response to an attempt to read data.

Status 0xC0210000L indicates that the volume was locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption and status 0x80000010L indicates that the volume (shadow copy) was taken offline.

​​These codes do not technically classify as errors and can safely be ignored. ​​They do not indicate an issue with either the disk or with CBT.

​We are aware that CBT is too aggressive in its generation of these events and we will address this in the next update.

​Apologies for any unnecessary alarm this has caused.

​Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Hi JamieW,

That is interesting regarding BitLocker, I have a scheduled task that is a file & folder backup of two VHD files that are BitLocker protected. Each VHD is located on a different Physical disk., I don't know if this information will be of any use. One other comment is that in the event log I cannot seem to find a record of a backup task starting. There is one of a task completing. Having both the start and end recorded would enable this to be narrowed down a lot easier. It that possible please?​​​

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V1809 B17763.194 MR v7.2.3906

Homer712
Homer712
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
I am running Windows Home, latest version 1809, so BitLocker has no involvement in producing the errors I'm seeing.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Homer712 - 3 December 2018 10:59 PM
I am running Windows Home, latest version 1809, so BitLocker has no involvement in producing the errors I'm seeing.

Actually, on systems that meet certain hardware requirements, BitLocker is sort of available even on Windows 10 Home, under the generic "Device Encryption" moniker.  It has significantly reduced functionality and manageability, but it uses BitLocker under the hood, so if your system is set up that way, you could be getting these events for that reason.  If you want to see whether your system is set up this way, open an elevated Command Prompt and enter "manage-bde -status", or go to Settings > Update & Security > Device encryption.  The way it works on Win10 Home is that on "qualifying" systems, when Windows is first installed, BitLocker gets enabled but is set to a permanently suspended state, meaning the decryption key is available on the disk in the clear, effectively offering no protection -- because you haven't had an opportunity to back up your Recovery Key yet.  Then if you ever choose to use your Microsoft account to log onto your PC (as opposed to having a local PC account), your BitLocker Recovery Key gets automatically backed up to the cloud and then BitLocker gets "truly" enabled -- which happens immediately because the data had already been encrypted beforehand, so all the system had to do was get rid of the decryption key that was on the disk.  I've also found that if you're comfortable using manage-bde, you can actually enable BitLocker on your Windows partition without using your Microsoft account as your logon account.  I haven't tested whether you can enable BitLocker on non-OS volumes, though.  That might actually require Win10 Pro or better

Homer712
Homer712
Seems that on my Windows 10 Home version, BitLocker is in fact truly off.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)Macrium Representative (210 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Homer712 - 3 December 2018 3:13 PM
I can confirm this error via event viewer: IRP_MJ_READ failed on device \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5 with status 0x80000010

Started on Nov. 27th and continues to this day, (75) errors in the last (7) days, (18) in the last (24) hours, and (6) in the last hour. The start of these errors each day coincides with the schedule I have set for a disk image, 7:15 AM. Errors begin at 7:15:50 AM or so, and continue.
Hi Homer712,

​​Status 0x80000001 indicates that the volume (shadow copy) was taken offline.

This status shows that something attempted to read from the shadow copy device after it had been taken offline. It has no dependency on BitLocker.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​​

Homer712
Homer712
I'm sure that this issue will be resolved, just trying to help with information that I can provide, Errors started with the latest update of Macrium Reflect. Errors correspond (for the most part, say 90%) with the start of a Macrium Reflect image backup, which I have scheduled for 7:15 AM each morning. Hard to believe that the start of the errors and the Macrium Reflect update are not connected.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...