Unexpected backup deletion (and inconsistent behavior) with certain retention config

Unexpected backup deletion (and inconsistent behavior) with certain...
Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've found that in a certain retention policy config, the state of the "Run purge before backup" checkbox results in a materially different outcome in terms of the backups that exist after the job completes, which I don't feel should be the case.

Setup:
- Retention policy set to 1 Incremental
- Synthetic Fulls enabled
- Run purge before backup enabled
- Destination already contains 1 Full and 1 Incremental
- User then begins a job to capture Inc #2

Expected behavior: Reflect would first consolidate Inc #1 into the Full and capture a new Inc, resulting in 1 (Synthetic) Full and 1 new Inc.
Actual behavior: Reflect first deletes Inc #1 and then captures a new Inc.

If "Run purge before backup" is disabled, then Reflect captures a new Inc #2, then consolidates Inc #1 into the Full, leaving only 1 new Inc.  Again, I feel that the timing of the purge should NOT affect the final outcome of the job, as is currently the case.

Edited 3 December 2018 2:03 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 2 December 2018 6:48 PM
I've found that in a certain retention policy config, the state of the "Run purge before backup" checkbox results in a materially different outcome in terms of the backups that exist after the job completes, which I don't feel should be the case.

Setup:
- Retention policy set to 1 Incremental
- Synthetic Fulls enabled
- Run purge before backup enabled
- Destination already contains 1 Full and 1 Incremental
- User then begins a job to capture Inc #2

Expected behavior: Reflect would first consolidate Inc #1 into the Full and capture a new Inc, resulting in 1 (Synthetic) Full and 1 new Inc.
Actual behavior: Reflect first deletes Inc #1 and then captures a new Inc.

If "Run purge before backup" is disabled, then Reflect captures a new Inc #2, then consolidates Inc #1 into the Full, leaving only 1 new Inc.  Again, I feel that the timing of the purge should NOT affect the final outcome of the job, as is currentlythe case.

Thanks for the post.  The logic used is that the retention numbers are adjusted by what is about to be run. So, when retaining 1 inc before running a backup, 1 is adjusted to zero if the current backup is an Inc.  You are correct in that if Synthetic Full has been specified then this should result in a consolidation rather than deletion.  We'll fix this in a future update. Thanks for the heads up. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...