New user here - Can MR back up Windows 7 System Restore points?

Author
Ike Crockett
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
The subject line pretty much sums up my question.
I've got some pretty important SR points that are due to fall off owing to the fact that Win 7 arbitrarily/automagically decides to make a SR point every week.
The only reason I haven't made full use of MR (which I definitely intend to do!) is that I don't have my backup drives physically installed yet and it is probably going to be a week or so before I'm able to.
Thanks much for any help/advice! Smile 
-Ike

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Currently they are excluded as Reflect is really an Ultra System Restore application (IMHO).
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.2K reputation)
If you need to retain more System Restore points and haven't already done this, consider allocating more of your disk space to retaining them, which you can do under Control Panel > System somewhere. I can't remember exactly how the Windows 7 interface looks anymore.  Windows defaults to only allocating something like 10% of the disk to retaining System Restore points, but that can be increased.

But to the larger question, due to the way System Restore points work at a file system level, you cannot back up just restore points.  Additionally, due to how Microsoft configured their VSS engine, which is used for both System Restore points and for any image backups captured within Windows, image backups will NOT include previous system restore points, i.e. if you were to restore that image backup, your system would not have the earlier System Restore points that were available at the time that backup was created.  You can avoid that by performing backups from a Rescue Media environment, but that would quickly become a chore.  However, the fact that "regular" image backups don't include earlier System Restore points tends not to become a practical issue because as Froggie notes above, once you start using Reflect, you'll have a much more robust solution than System Restore points anyway, both in terms of the "completeness" of a rollback if you ever perform one, and the fact that unlike System Restore points, Reflect backups don't require the source drive's file system to be intact in order to access the backups -- assuming of course that you're not storing your backups on the same physical disk as your source data, which you shouldn't be.

Edited 2 December 2018 8:16 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...