Can use a USB SSD HDD for Rescue Media?

Author
dbminter
Expert
Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)Expert (786 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Will the Rescue Media builder accept a USB SSD HDD as a target for writing Rescue Media?  I plan on trying out a Samsung one soon and I've never tried using a USB mechanical HDD (WD MyBook) as a target for rescue media before.  And I realize it may also be dependent on if your system BIOS supports booting from an SSD USB HDD, too.  After all, it won't be of much use if the Rescue Media builder can create such USB SSD HDD media for me if my PC can't boot from it.

Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Rescue Media Builder will build to it as long as it’s MBR rather than GPT, although you can manually copy the Rescue files to a FAT32 partition of a GPT disk if you want to use that instead. And for that matter you were of course always able to do a manual Rescue Media build for an MBR target as well. It’s just a few diskpart commands and then copying the contents of a mounted ISO to the target, and then you only need to do the latter part whenever you want to update it. Macrium even has a KB for the manual build somewhere. But as you said, whether your particular system will actually boot from it is another matter.
Edited 1 December 2018 9:29 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...