Unable to create Rescue Media

Author
Blackrat
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
I've just tried to create a rescue media CD but it refuses to complete.
I've added the end of the log file below.
Any ideas.
Thanks

---------------------------------------

ImageX Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
Version: 10.0.10011.16384

Unmount Error: Did not find an image mounted to [c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\mount].

Beginning wim build - 01/12/2018 06:31
======================================

Unmounting the Wim - 01/12/2018 06:31
(Ensuring the staging area is clear. Disregard any "did not find an image" error messages here.)
"C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe" /unmount "c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\mount"
Failed to remove folder - c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles
Unmounting the wim - 01/12/2018 06:31
"C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\imagex.exe" /unmount "c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\mount"

ImageX Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
Version: 10.0.10011.16384

Unmount Error: Did not find an image mounted to [c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\mount].

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
Any third-party anti-virus installed? When seemingly random problems occur when working with WIM files or copying certain ADK files, that’s usually the culprit. If this happened just after a Reflect update and worked before, I’m wondering if the anti-virus doesn’t trust the new version of the RMBuilder binary. If you have third-party AV installed (and really want to keep it?), try adding an exception for the EXEs in the Reflect installation folder. You should also exclude the destination folder(s) of your backup job(s) from scanning, because some AV can block or dramatically slow down backup operations too.
Edited 1 December 2018 3:52 PM by jphughan
Blackrat
Blackrat
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
jphughan - 1 December 2018 3:47 PM
Any third-party anti-virus installed? When seemingly random problems occur when working with WIM files or copying certain ADK files, that’s usually the culprit. If this happened just after a Reflect update and worked before, I’m wondering if the anti-virus doesn’t trust the new version of the RMBuilder binary. If you have third-party AV installed (and really want to keep it?), try adding an exception for the EXEs in the Reflect installation folder. You should also exclude the destination folder(s) of your backup job(s) from scanning, because some AV can block or dramatically slow down backup operations too.

Thanks
I managed to get it working in the end by deleting everything in c:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles\ and letting it rebuild.

ecolloff
ecolloff
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...

Using Reflect 7, V 7.2, Build 3957 on a Win 10 64 bit system.

Created Recovery CD Disk w/o any problems (Reflect asked me to update the Win PE components first, which I did).

To be safe, tried to create recovery USB drive (2 GB)... Reflect reported I was missing a network Driver .INF file, asked me to provide it. Had no idea where to find it, and moreover not sure if installing a Network driver will mess with my system, or it is just for the boot environment. So I clicked on "Cancel". My PC hung. Rebooted, hung at splash screen. Rebooted again, got a message to select which boot media I wanted to use. Made sure to remove the recovery USB drive (which supposedly had not been built since the driver info was missing), and rebooted yet again. This time, after a LONG time, PC booted normally.

Questions:
1) Why could I create a rescue CD (altho I have not tested it...) but not a rescue USB?
2) If someone can point me to the missing driver, does installing it affect only the PE environment, or my PC itself?
3) Since the PE environment build failed because of the missing driver (am I correct?) and I tried to cancel out, why did my PC hang and have so much trouble re-booting?

Many thanks for any help you can offer this newbie....
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
What version of WinPE/WinRE are you building with? From Rescue Media Builder, click Advanced and check the “Choose Base WIM” tab. If you’re using WinRE or WinPE 10, it would be odd for Reflect to prompt you for a network driver if the network device is already set up in your real Windows environment. What does the status of that device say under the “Devices & Drivers” tab?

As for why the CD worked differently, did you maybe change your WinPE/RE build selection between the CD and flash drive? Or is the network device in question a USB network adapter that might not have been attached when the CD was created?

In any case, the prompt for a network driver would only pertain to the Rescue environment. If you don’t supply one, then your network device probably won’t work in Rescue (unless WinPE supports it natively and Reflect somehow doesn’t realize that, though normally it does.) If you don’t ever expect to need to use your network device(s) in Rescue because you don’t need to back up to or restore from a network location, then technically you don’t have to worry about this, but it is curious that Reflect isn’t just copying the required driver right out of your Windows environment for integration into the Rescue environment....
ecolloff
ecolloff
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks for quick post!!

Did not change WinPE/RE between CD and USB key. How do I find the version of Win PE/RE?

When I check the “Choose Base WIM” tab, I am defaulted to "Windows PE 10 (WADK)"

My Devices & Drivers tab shows:

Realtek PIIe GBE Family Controller - Device support in WinPE
Standard NVM Express Controller - Compatible device support in WinPE
Intel(r) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller - Compatible device support in WinPE
USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller - Compatible device support in WinPE

My machine is a laptop on a home network, with both wired Ethernet and wireless connection. I don't see why I would need the network to restore from a crash, but what do I know? ( :-) )

Thanks again!

ecolloff
ecolloff
Oops - That's "Realtek PCIe GBE...", not PIIe
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Can you post a screenshot of the driver prompt you see if you can reproduce it? Based on that list you posted above, Reflect is saying that all of your hardware is natively supported by WinPE, so it shouldn’t be trying to add any drivers from anywhere. Network connectivity in Rescue would be used in cases where you might be backing up to a file server on the network, but if your backups are on locally attached storage, you wouldn’t need it.
ecolloff
ecolloff
So.... I just tried creating the boot USB so I could take a screenshot, and it said it was successful! Will try booting from both CD and USB to see if works and let you know.

Thanks again for spending time on this! 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...