How to open or view .vsslog file attached to email report?

Author
WTD3
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

How do I open or view the .vsslog file that I have set to send with email reports from computer and more importantly from my email account on my phone?

Thank you!

WTD3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It's a regular text file, so on your PC you could simply choose to open that file with Notepad and check the box to remember that .vsslog extension association.  Whether you can set up a similar association with some other text file viewer on your phone probably depends on the phone.  That said, although I choose to include the job log on failure and warning outcomes, I don't include the VSS log on any email notifications because I simply don't see the point, especially now that Reflect 7.2 has added a "warning" outcome, one of the triggers of which is VSS issues, even issues that still allow the job to complete.  Prior to 7.2 jobs where the VSS snapshot succeeded only by disabling VSS writers by default were allowed to proceed and were marked as a total success, and backing up without VSS writers might be a condition that someone might want to know about, without having to resort all the way to having Reflect cancel the job entirely in that situation.

In my personal experience, when a backup fails, the cause is evident from the regular job log, and I've never had a failure caused by a VSS issue.  Even people who do have VSS issues seem not to have them "chronically".  And if a failure IS caused by VSS, then chances are you'll have to get to the PC to fix it anyway, in which case you can view the VSS log there anyway.  By comparison, some non-VSS causes for job failure, such as the external hard drive not being connected, can be resolved by simply looking at the job log and then calling someone to tell them to connect the hard drive and try the backup again.  But again, that's just been my own experience.

Edited 30 November 2018 5:38 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...