CBT failure in 7.2.3897

Author
Dimitri
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After updating to 7.2.3897, I tried today a differential image.
As shown below CBT failed:

The current environment is:
​​​​WindowsEdition : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Architecture   : 64-bit
Version        : 1803
OSBuild        : 17134.407
Macrium Reflect: Home Edition (64-bit) v 7.2.3897

​​
My disk layout is:

The most recent (after the image)​​​ visual representation of the changed blocks:

Any ideas/suggestions how to fix this failure, are most welcome.
Thanx in advance.​​​​

​​​

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dimitri - 27 November 2018 9:43 PM
After updating to 7.2.3897, I tried today a differential image.
As shown below CBT failed:

The current environment is:
WindowsEdition : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Architecture   : 64-bit
Version        : 1803
OSBuild        : 17134.407
Macrium Reflect: Home Edition (64-bit) v 7.2.3897

My disk layout is:

The most recent (after the image) visual representation of the changed blocks:

Any ideas/suggestions how to fix this failure, are most welcome.
Thanx in advance.

Thanks for posting.

This isn't an error to be concerned about. The CBT index is reset if the NTFS file system is updated and the updates were not tracked by CBT. This can happen for various reasons, including booting into the PE rescue media, running a boot start chkdsk, running certain low level utilities such as 'Glary Utilities Disk Repair' etc...

CBT Tools is showing that the CBT index was restarted at 20:17 today and the CBT index in the image file you are appending to is older - hence the 'Sequence mismatch' text in the log. Because of this, the Incremental will 'fall back' to not using CBT for this Incremental. The next one will use CBT.   

There is no impact on the integrity of your images. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Dimitri
Dimitri
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and explanations Nick..but unfortunately since, then I did two differentials and the CBT failed in both of them!
I also installed the driver and rebooted​, with no luck again!

​​​​​
Edited 27 November 2018 10:55 PM by Dimitri
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dimitri - 27 November 2018 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and explanations Nick..but unfortunately since, then I did two differentials and the CBT failed in both of them!
I also installed the driver and rebooted, with no luck again!

When was the Full image taken?  Unlike Incrementals for Differentials the CBT index in the previous backup is the Full.  It really isn't any cause for concern 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 27 November 2018 11:21 PM by Nick
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
The fundamental rule is that CBT can only be used when the parent image was captured within the same CBT "session" as the new image you're capturing.  So if your CBT session was reset after your Full was captured, none of the Differentials you append to that Full will ever use CBT.  An Incremental appended directly to that Full wouldn't use CBT either, for the same reason.  However, after you capture a Differential (or your first Incremental), subsequent Incrementals appended to that backup would use CBT, again as long as the CBT session hasn't been reset.

Edited 27 November 2018 11:29 PM by jphughan
Dimitri
Dimitri
Guys, thank you both for your help.
Nick, indeed the Full was taken on 25-Nov and definitely not in the same session. And of course there is no question regarding image integrity, never was!   Smile
I think that jphughan's post, pretty much clarifies how the CBT works.
So again, thank you both for your time.
Best regards - Dimitri
Edited 28 November 2018 12:10 AM by Dimitri
Dimitri
Dimitri
And to successfully close the issue
Today's incremental​

Exactly as @jphughan described it. CBT success in first Incremental ​​​​after the Differential!

Again my sincere thanks to both @Nick and @jphughan for your help and clarifications!​​​

pimjoosten
pimjoosten
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
jphughan - 27 November 2018 11:28 PM
The fundamental rule is that CBT can only be used when the parent image was captured within the same CBT "session" as the new image you're capturing.  So if your CBT session was reset after your Full was captured, none of the Differentials you append to that Full will ever use CBT.  An Incremental appended directly to that Full wouldn't use CBT either, for the same reason.  However, after you capture a Differential (or your first Incremental), subsequent Incrementals appended to that backup would use CBT, again as long as the CBT session hasn't been reset.

Is this different from what is written on this page which reads (a.o.) "With our Changed Block Tracker driver enabled, the first incremental/differential image taken since Windows was restarted will be performed using the traditional method." (5th paragraph)? Today I noticed that when making an incremental image on two different systems that just rebooted it said "CBT Init Success". According to the knowledge base article that should not happen, the first image after a reboot should be a "traditional" image, not using CBT. The CBT icon is also displayed for the partition directly after a reboot (i.e. before having made an image). I thought this was the old approach from v6, which was changed in v7 as can be read in the knowledgebase article. I am using Reflect v7.2.3906 BTW.

Tags
Edited 5 December 2018 2:51 PM by pimjoosten
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
pimjoosten - 5 December 2018 2:49 PM

Is this different from what is written on this page which reads (a.o.) "With our Changed Block Tracker driver enabled, the first incremental/differential image taken since Windows was restarted will be performed using the traditional method." (5th paragraph)? Today I noticed that when making an incremental image on two different systems that just rebooted it said "CBT Init Success". According to the knowledge base article that should not happen, the first image after a reboot should be a "traditional" image, not using CBT. The CBT icon is also displayed for the partition directly after a reboot (i.e. before having made an image). I thought this was the old approach from v6, which was changed in v7 as can be read in the knowledgebase article. I am using Reflect v7.2.3906 BTW.

That's the Knowledgebase from V7.  V7.2 added "persistent" CBT that survives across restarts, as long as the disk wasn't mounted in some other environment in the meantime, such as Rescue.  The new CBT article for 7.2 is here.
pimjoosten
pimjoosten
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
jphughan - 5 December 2018 2:56 PM
pimjoosten - 5 December 2018 2:49 PM

That's the Knowledgebase from V7.  V7.2 added "persistent" CBT that survives across restarts, as long as the disk wasn't mounted in some other environment in the meantime, such as Rescue.  The new CBT article for 7.2 is here.

Thanks for this info. I missed this article about the new "persistent CBT". That is what happens when one starts to learn a new program (I started about 1-2 months ago). I remembered what was written in that v7 article, and was reasoning from that.

Thanks again!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...