Initializing new M.2 SSD?

Author
landers3
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I must have done this before, at least on my desktop when I upgraded to a 2.5" SSD and could put it in the drive bay, run Win10 and initialize the new drive. But I had also put a 2.5" SSD in my wife's laptop, and restored her latest backup to the new drive, but I don't recall whether MR had option to initialize this drive, or that the restore process simply did the job. But MR worked perfectly.

I have an upgrade coming for this laptop and want to be sure of the initializing procedure. Shouldn't matter that this is an M.2 SATA SSD, I just want to be sure. Backups are on external USB drives, the USB rescue media is the latest as of a couple of days ago, and verified bootable, and sees the external drives. So can I do the whole job by booting the rescue media?

Also, for an operation like this, do I need to uninstall/reinstall MR? I have the keys saved. Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Yes, you should be able to swap SSDs, boot from the Rescue Media, and restore your image onto the new, empty SSD.  There's no need to initialize anything beforehand.  Reflect handles that as part of the image restore process.  Depending on the capacity of the existing and new SSDs, you may however want to customize the sizes of the restored partitions on the first step of the restore wizard rather than counting on doing that later, since your partition layout may not make it easy to do afterward.

You would not need to uninstall Reflect if the new hard drive is going into the same system that you're currently using.  Good luck!

Edited 27 November 2018 4:45 PM by jphughan
landers3
landers3
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
jphughan - 27 November 2018 4:43 PM
Yes, you should be able to swap SSDs, boot from the Rescue Media, and restore your image onto the new, empty SSD.  There's no need to initialize anything beforehand.  Reflect handles that as part of the image restore process.  Depending on the capacity of the existing and new SSDs, you may however want to customize the sizes of the restored partitions on the first step of the restore wizard rather than counting on doing that later, since your partition layout may not make it easy to do afterward.

You would not need to uninstall Reflect if the new hard drive is going into the same system that you're currently using.  Good luck!

Thanks @jphughan! That will help my confidence, in upgrading from the tiny 128GB drive to 500GB!  In fact that has been my only complaint with this HP laptop (speed is great). But even using external USB drives for data, the original only has 41GB free space...
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Happy to help!  Fyi the way to customize your partition sizes during "staging" is shown in Steps 4 and 5 of this KB.  It shows a clone operation, but an image restore works the same way except the link you click will say "Restored Partition Properties" rather than "Cloned Partition Properties".  The trick is to drag the partitions down one at a time, working left to right, and then resize the partition in the destination as desired before you proceed dragging any remaining partitions down.  Enjoy!

Edited 27 November 2018 5:08 PM by jphughan
landers3
landers3
I think I'm ready now! Getting the laptop apart (verrry carefully!) seems to be the hardest part. Got the old M.2 out, just waiting for the new one. Tracking shows it's "out for delivery" now. Thanks for your help!
landers3
landers3
landers3 - 27 November 2018 6:45 PM
I think I'm ready now! Getting the laptop apart (verrry carefully!) seems to be the hardest part. Got the old M.2 out, just waiting for the new one. Tracking shows it's "out for delivery" now. Thanks for your help!

New drive is installed and operational! I did enlarge the Windows partition to fill up empty space, thanks for that info.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Fantastic, glad you're all set! Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...