An OPTION to backup files folders similar to 'Copy' instead of 1 compressed file

Author
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This part of the forum is titled 'Wish List'.
That allows me to submit an idea that I suppose Macrium will never adopt, but nonetheless is still  my  wish..
I prefer to backup folders and files as single items - meaning to say, like Explorer -> 'Copy' instead of 1 compressed file.
No doubt 1 compressed file has its 'pros'.

Personally, I think the extra step of mounting is less convenient.
I am not sure, because I haven't tested it, but most likely restoring files requires Macrium to be installed.
But if Macrium has not (yet) been installed?
For example: a file is needed during the early setup of Windows and Macrium has not yet been installed?
Right now I can use Explorer to restore the file.
Has there ever been an issue where a big compressed file became damaged and a backup became 'unreadable' ?

Anyway, I don't know how the backup process works: I assume(!) that during the backup process all files are first collected and then the compression takes place?
IF that would be the case, then maybe add an option -not- to compress, but instead do a copy to ... 

Right now I use a different backup tool and moved from a the paid version of Macrium to the free version: for me, it was of no use to having a paid version.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
I'll assume we're talking about File & Folder backups here rather than image backups.  Yes, you need Reflect installed to mount File & Folder backups (and image backups, for that matter).  If it hasn't been installed when you need to access data, then install it.  I'm not sure what scenario you're picturing where you have Windows installed and need some data out of your backups but can't yet install Reflect.  One thing you could do for convenience is save a Reflect installer EXE in the folder that contains your backups, though.

As for compression, you can disable that, but your source data will still be rolled into a single file; it will just be larger.  That design is necessary for some of Reflect's most fundamental operations to work, such as Differential and Incremental backups.  The Explorer copy scenario you're talking about is simple file replication.  That certainly has its uses, but maintaining backups is not one of them.  Simple file replication makes it rather difficult to maintain historical versions of your data, at least in a way that would make it easy to restore to the time of a specific backup later.  Normal copy operations simply overwrite the existing data with newer versions, which doesn't retain previous versions at all.  The other options would be moving updated/deleted files to some subfolder, which gets messy if you ever want to restore all of your data to a specific point in time, or else running each backup job to a different target folder, which makes restores easy but will also produce a lot of redundant data copies.

If file replication is what you want, there are already a lot of excellent tools out there for that purpose.  I personally use Allway Sync because it is very powerful and flexible if you take the time to look through the options you can configure.  It's free if your average usage over a 30-day period doesn't exceed what they consider personal use, but even the unlimited Pro version is pretty inexpensive.  Or depending on your needs, you could even potentially use something as simple as Robocopy, which is built into Windows.  But file replication and backups are not the same thing.  They each have their uses, and there are excellent tools on the market for each.  Reflect is a tool for backups, not file replication, so I would not expect to see file replication functionality added.  It would prevent most of Reflect's existing features from being used, which would mean completely redesigning the interface to offer a different set of options, and chances are it would confuse users.  And given the quality of some of the file replication applications out there, I personally don't see the point.  It's important to pick the right tool for the job, and I generally find that when an application tries to do too many different things, it stops doing any of them particularly well.

Lastly, a few notes about restoring File & Folder backups.  First, you don't have to mount them in order to restore data from them; there's a Restore wizard that can be started from Reflect.  And second, you actually have to use that wizard if you're restoring files larger than 4GB, because files larger than 4GB don't restore properly if you mount an F&F backup and use Explorer to copy them back.  The reason is that F&F backups emulate a FAT32 file system when mounted, and FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4GB, so files larger than that get broken up into multiple chunks when mounted.  Macrium has said they're looking into working around this limitation, but for now it exists.  Image backups do not have this issue.

Edited 27 November 2018 7:03 AM by jphughan
maw62
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)Talented Member (128 reputation)
Thank you so much for your elaborate reply. 
Indeed, I use a different backup tool (for backing up or synchronizing files/folders). For imaging, obviously, I use Macrium.
That other tool also scans for newer files, etc.
There are a lot of decent tools that take care of backing up, synchronizing, or creating a mirror, from the ones that are rich of feature and thus
often a little complex, meaning: one should be ready for errors and therefore run the tasks on test folders
(tools like GoodSync, SyncBackPro, and the like) upto tools that are simple (SyncToy).

Note: I used 'Explorer-Copy' to illustrate what I meant with backing up single folder/files. (i.e. not 1 combined/compressed file)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...