Boot menu option not restarting when Reflect closed

Author
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've had this happen twice now, both on the previous Reflect 7.2 release and the current 7.2.3897 update.  What happens is when I rebuild the Windows boot menu option, I restart Windows to test it.  When Reflect loads, I check that the version number is updated.  However, I've noticed this happening at least twice.  When the X button is used to close Reflect on the first boot after rebuilding the boot menu option, it never restarts.  Even selecting Reboot from the power icon in the lower left hand corner doesn't restart Reflect.  I waited 5 minutes and it never restarted, forcing a power cycle.  When this happens, all subsequent tests of the boot menu option do restart Reflect when I X close the main interface window.

The first time this happened earlier today on the last revision of Reflect, I wrote it off as a fluke.  However, when it repeated after updating to 7.2.3897, I thought I should post about it.  And both versions, I had just Added, Removed, and Added the boot menu option again because it's the best way I've discovered to make sure the boot menu option works.

Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
The Reflect Rescue environment is stored in a WIM file that doesn't get updated from one use to the next.  Each session extracts the contents of that WIM into a RAMDisk that only exists as long as the session, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that the Rescue environment's behavior would vary from one use to the next, or at least that the variance would have anything to do with Reflect.

What happens if you try to restart in the Rescue environment by opening Command Prompt and running the standard "wpeutil reboot" command?

Also, you don't need to add, remove, and re-add the boot menu option each time, or even boot into it every time to check a version number.  Rescue Media Builder shows the current version of your Rescue Media files cache, which is what the boot menu option boots from, and the BCD entry that enables booting into that environment just points to the Boot.wim file in that cache.  That entry doesn't change just because the Boot.wim file itself was updated after a Rescue Media rebuild.

dbminter
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)
I've seen cases where one might to check the version in the boot menu.  For instance, when I installed a nuked version of Windows 10 1809 and installed the last revision of 7.2, I added the boot menu.  When I tried running it the first time, it failed to boot unless I Removed and Added it again a 2nd time.  So, I booted into the boot menu option and discovered something different.  On my "live" install of 1809 made with the October 2nd installation package, the title in the Reflect window lists the Reflect version and the WinRE version, e.g. Windows 10 WinRE 1809.  On my nuked installation, it doesn't say the WinRE revision.  Just Windows 10 WinRE, or something like that.  No 1809, even though I had updated 1709 and 1803 (LONG story.) to 1809.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
That was a glitch in how certain releases of Reflect displayed version information its their title bar (or didn't).  Since 7.2 launched, there were reports of WinPE 5 being identified as WinPE 4, and WinPE 10 being identified as WinPE 5, in addition to WinRE not showing version information at all.  The first two are definitely fixed, and I haven't checked the third.  But that doesn't at all indicate that files weren't updated properly after a Rescue Media rebuild or that the boot menu option wasn't accessing the updated files

Edited 27 November 2018 1:25 AM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
The primary reason I check the version in the boot menu option is one time, years ago, I updated Reflect and the boot menu version said it was the older version than the one I had just updated to.  Maybe I didn't rebuild the menu or Reflect didn't detect to rebuild it, for whatever reason.  But,ever since then, I've always tested the boot menu to make sure it 1.) boots and 2.) boots into the current version number.  I always boot test my rescue media, anyway, all 6 flash drives I use and the optical disc version; I like redundancies and having the option of both media types in case I should ever encounter where I need to boot from a disc because flash media is unavailable for whatever reason.

dbminter
dbminter
Guru
I've got some more troubleshooting information for this issue.  This is the following error message generated on attempt to start Reflect from the boot menu option if I don't Add/Remove/Add the boot menu option:

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."

EDIT: OOPS!  Wrong topic for this follow up.  Sorry.

Edited 1 December 2018 2:39 AM by dbminter
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
See the following post for what I think is the actual cause.

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic26828.aspx?Update=1

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search