Must create Windows boot menu twice to get it to work

Author
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently had to begin steps to reinstall everything from scratch... with, well, less than satisfying results all around.  But, those aren't at issue here.  What I discovered is when I create the Windows boot menu option for Reflect, I have to create it twice to get it to work.  I have to first Add it, then Remove it, and Add it a second time to get it to work.  I get a screen saying Windows was unable to start and to run the recovery tools from the installation media.  There's an error code returned, but I didn't jot it down. 

I realize without that error code, there's not much tech supporting that can be done.  I'll try to restore sometime to a point before it was first added, get a failing boot setup, write down the error code, and update this post with that code.  In the meantime, for anyone searching, if you do have trouble adding the boot menu option, try first Removing it and Adding it again.  See if that works.

BTW, this was on the latest 7.2 where a previous 7.1.x free trial, which was expired, had been installed on.  I uninstalled the 7.1.x version first, though, before installing 7.2.x.

Thanks!

dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
I've got some more troubleshooting information for this issue. This is the following error message generated on attempt to start Reflect from the boot menu option if I don't Add/Remove/Add the boot menu option:

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."
Andrew
Andrew
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)Macrium Representative (37 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi dbminter,

We've not been able to reproduce your issue. Can you please open a support ticket so we can investigate further?
https://www.macrium.com/support

Kind regards,
Andrew - Macrium Support
RayG
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)Advanced Member (554 reputation)
I have seen this as well. I had a yellow exclamation mark in the drivers section when building the RE Boot option. Macrium did not find any drivers when I used scan with subfolders on the C: drive which is what was suggested in the display. When the boot menu was built it showed that it required rebuilding and this time it copied over the drivers to the boot...drivers\wifi directory. That is as best as I can remember as I have also been unable to reproduce it.

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V1809 B17763.194 MR v7.2.3906

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...