Warnings not properly indicated

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
UPDATE: Perhaps the issue below only applies to warning outcomes caused by incomplete sets? That’s the only condition I tested.

I performed some testing based on reading another thread here and have discovered that jobs that complete with warnings are not indicated quite as advertised in the KB page about this topic, and there are other areas that could be improved for awareness.

The screenshot in the KB page located under the phrase "Warnings are clearly displayed in the log..." shows that the "bottom line" assessment reads "Image completed with warnings in 00:02:20". I just tested Reflect Server 7.2.3858 on Windows Server 2016 and was unable to trigger that text. I ran an Incremental that triggered a warning condition due to an incomplete set.  I got the yellow triangle next to the log entry in Log tab and at the bottom of the job log itself, but the "bottom line" text in the activity monitor text shown during the job, the popup dialogue after the job completed, and the "bottom line" text in the log itself all simply read, "[Image/Backup] completed successfully". Enabling auto-verify and running the test again simply changed the text to "[Image/Backup] and Verification completed successfully". As suggested in the previous sentence, this affects both image and F&F jobs.

Please fix this so that when a warning occurs, that is explicitly mentioned in the activity monitor window, the popup dialogue, and the log -- for both image and F&F jobs, with and without auto-verify.

Edited 25 November 2018 1:38 AM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 23 November 2018 5:15 PM
UPDATE: Perhaps the issue below only applies to warning outcomes caused by incomplete sets? That’s the only condition I tested.

I performed some testing based on reading another thread here and have discovered that jobs that complete with warnings are not indicated quite as advertised in the KB page about this topic, and there are other areas that could be improved for awareness.

The screenshot in the KB page located under the phrase "Warnings are clearly displayed in the log..." shows that the "bottom line" assessment reads "Image completed with warnings in 00:02:20". I just tested Reflect Server 7.2.3858 on Windows Server 2016 and was unable to trigger that text. I ran an Incremental that triggered a warning condition due to an incomplete set.  I got the yellow triangle next to the log entry in Log tab and at the bottom of the job log itself, but the "bottom line" text in the activity monitor text shown during the job, the popup dialogue after the job completed, and the "bottom line" text in the log itself all simply read, "[Image/Backup] completed successfully". Enabling auto-verify and running the test again simply changed the text to "[Image/Backup] and Verification completed successfully". As suggested in the previous sentence, this affects both image and F&F jobs.

Please fix this so that when a warning occurs, that is explicitly mentioned in the activity monitor window, the popup dialogue, and the log -- for both image and F&F jobs, with and without auto-verify.

Thanks for the heads up. This will be resolved in the next update.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Thanks Nick!  Does that mean the update that just appeared, i.e. 7.2.3897, or did this not make the cutoff for that release?  I don't see any mention of this in the release notes for 3897.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
jphughan - 26 November 2018 5:25 PM
Thanks Nick!  Does that mean the update that just appeared, i.e. 7.2.3897, or did this not make the cutoff for that release?  I don't see any mention of this in the release notes for 3897.

It's in the latest update. It just squeezed through.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Hmm, I've installed 3897 and restarted, and I can still reproduce the condition I described above.  Here are my steps to reproduce:

- Configure an F&F job to back up a folder.  Create a Full.
- Change the source contents and create Inc #1.
- Change the source contents again and create Inc #2.
- Delete Inc #1 in Windows Explorer.
- Change the source contents again and create Inc #3.

The screenshot below is from Reflect's interactive execution activity monitor from creating Inc #3.  As you can see, the red text identifying a missing set appears, but the "bottom line assessment" and the popup dialogue still indicate success.  The Log tab shows a yellow triangle for this job, but it too says "Backup Completed Successfully" at the bottom. I haven't retested image backups since updating yet.  I do not have the registry setting to suppress warnings for incomplete backup sets configured on this system.

Edited 26 November 2018 5:58 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
jphughan - 26 November 2018 5:57 PM
Hmm, I've installed 3897 and restarted, and I can still reproduce the condition I described above.  Here are my steps to reproduce:

- Configure an F&F job to back up a folder.  Create a Full.
- Change the source contents and create Inc #1.
- Change the source contents again and create Inc #2.
- Delete Inc #1 in Windows Explorer.
- Change the source contents again and create Inc #3.

The screenshot below is from Reflect's interactive execution activity monitor from creating Inc #3.  As you can see, the red text identifying a missing set appears, but the "bottom line assessment" and the popup dialogue still indicate success.  The Log tab shows a yellow triangle for this job, but it too says "Backup Completed Successfully" at the bottom. I haven't retested image backups since updating yet.  I do not have the registry setting to suppress warnings for incomplete backup sets configured on this system.

Ahhh, sorry that isn't in this update.   A similar situation with Images was corrected but not File and Folder backups.  

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...