Control Image Guardian from Command Line

Author
Terry Dennison
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am the system administrator for a network of six computers using Macrium Reflect V7 to backup data and systems.  I am using a cloud backup facility that uses a 'sync folder' to stage backups.  Processes controlled by Task Manager generate data and system backups on each computer and a separate process gathers the backups into the sync folder on one of the computers.  Since the backups are .mrbak files, Image Guardian (MIG) prohibits deletion of the old files in the sync folder staging area.  I'd to be able to control MIG from a script so I can leave MIG on anytime when the staging process is not operating.  The processes run overnight every night so it is impractical to manage this manually.

What I am looking for the script is something like:

macrium.exe /MIG=OFF
<delete old backup files>
<copy new backup files>
macrium,exe /MIG=ON

I'd suggest that other system administrators using cloud backup faculties would also find this useful.

Thanks,

Terry

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
I agree command-line management for MIG could be useful.  In the meantime though, depending on the details of your solution, you might be able to leverage MIG's "exemption" for Robocopy commands documented in the MIG KB article here.  If you need to completely purge the contents of the sync folder rather than simply update its contents to match an existing source folder, which MIG already allows when it's active under the conditions outlined in the KB, then you could set up a bit of a hack solution to achieve purges. Basically, on the PC that hosts the sync folder, you'd create an additional "dummy" definition file that you'd never use.  Its destination would be a folder that you would keep empty, and then in order to clear the sync folder you could use a "Robocopy /MIR" command that specifies your "dummy folder" as the source and your sync folder as the destination, thereby deleting everything in the latter folder even while MIG is active because the "dummy destination" allows the Robocopy conditions to be satisfied.  Note that this is decidedly not an ideal solution, because having that empty "dummy destination" folder registered in Reflect as a backup destination would technically allow Robocopy to be used to perform malicious deletions of other Reflect backup files -- although NOT any backup files in locations that are themselves registered in Reflect as backup destinations.

Again, that's not a substitute for command-line control of MIG, but I wanted to suggest it in case it helps you in today's world where that isn't currently available.

Edited 19 November 2018 9:34 PM by jphughan
Terry Dennison
Terry Dennison
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
jphughan - 19 November 2018 9:27 PM
I agree command-line management for MIG could be useful.  In the meantime though, depending on the details of your solution, you might be able to leverage MIG's "exemption" for Robocopy commands documented in the MIG KB article here.  If you need to completely purge the contents of the sync folder rather than simply update its contents to match an existing source folder, which MIG already allows when it's active under the conditions outlined in the KB, then you could set up a bit of a hack solution to achieve purges. Basically, on the PC that hosts the sync folder, you'd create an additional "dummy" definition file that you'd never use.  Its destination would be a folder that you would keep empty, and then in order to clear the sync folder you could use a "Robocopy /MIR" command that specifies your "dummy folder" as the source and your sync folder as the destination, thereby deleting everything in the latter folder even while MIG is active because the "dummy destination" allows the Robocopy conditions to be satisfied.  Note that this is decidedly not an ideal solution, because having that empty "dummy destination" folder registered in Reflect as a backup destination would technically allow Robocopy to be used to perform malicious deletions of other Reflect backup files -- although NOT any backup files in locations that are themselves registered in Reflect as backup destinations.

Again, that's not a substitute for command-line control of MIG, but I wanted to suggest it in case it helps you in today's world where that isn't currently available.

Thanks, A workable interim solution.  I'll give it a try.

Terry
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...