CBT driver causes BSOD with VMware VM

Author
pimjoosten
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When using Reflect v7.2.3858 (with CBT driver v7.2.3832) starting a VMware VM with a RAW disk (i.e. a fixed disk connected with the VM), causes a BSOD a few seconds into the boot of the VM. I have tested that this issue also occurs with Reflect v7.2.3825, but not with v7.1.3317 (with CBT driver v7.1.2877). I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my host system.

Disabling “Enable Changed Block Tracking for Incremental Backups” in the Advanced Incrementals settings of the Advanced settings does not solve this issue. Removing the CBT driver with mrcbttools.exe does solve it, but leads to another issue for which I will write a new post to keep the two bugs separated.

This is the BSOD report WhoCrashed generates from the BSOD:

======================================================================================================
On Sun 18-11-2018 8:57:55 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111818-15537-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mrcbt.sys (0xFFFFF880022D140F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880022D140F, 0xFFFFF8800C0594C8, 0xFFFFF8800C058D30)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mrcbt.sys
product: Macrium Reflect Change Block Tracker
company: Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider
description: Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mrcbt.sys (Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker, Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: mrcbt.sys Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
========================================================================================================

Should you need it I have both the minidump and the full kernel dump available.

I am using VMware Workstation Player v14.1.2, but it also happens with v14.1.4. I use v14.1.2 because apparently VMware Player v14.1.3 and v14.1.4 contain a bug which causes a VM with a fixed (raw) disk to stay black even though the VM runs fine otherwise.
In order to connect a fixed disk to a VM follow this procedure in VMware Player:
-    The VM (guest) must be powered off
-    A physical hard drive must be connected to be used by the VM
-    Go to “Edit virtual machine settings”
-    On the hardware tab click “Add”
-    Select Hard Disk
-    Select SCSI
-    Select “Use a physical disk”
-    Select the correct hard drive number to be connected to the VM as displayed in Windows Disk Management and choose “Use entire disk”
-    Accept the choice for the vmdk file name
-    Click finish

If the VM is now started the host will have the BSOD a few seconds into the boot of the VM.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)Macrium Representative (212 reputation)
Group: Moderators
pimjoosten - 19 November 2018 8:18 AM
When using Reflect v7.2.3858 (with CBT driver v7.2.3832) starting a VMware VM with a RAW disk (i.e. a fixed disk connected with the VM), causes a BSOD a few seconds into the boot of the VM. I have tested that this issue also occurs with Reflect v7.2.3825, but not with v7.1.3317 (with CBT driver v7.1.2877). I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my host system.

Disabling “Enable Changed Block Tracking for Incremental Backups” in the Advanced Incrementals settings of the Advanced settings does not solve this issue. Removing the CBT driver with mrcbttools.exe does solve it, but leads to another issue for which I will write a new post to keep the two bugs separated.

======================================================================================================
This was probably caused by the following module: mrcbt.sys (0xFFFFF880022D140F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880022D140F, 0xFFFFF8800C0594C8, 0xFFFFF8800C058D30)
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mrcbt.sys (Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker, Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider).
Google query: mrcbt.sys Windows (R) Win 7 DDK provider SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
========================================================================================================

I am using VMware Workstation Player v14.1.2, but it also happens with v14.1.4. I use v14.1.2 because apparently VMware Player v14.1.3 and v14.1.4 contain a bug which causes a VM with a fixed (raw) disk to stay black even though the VM runs fine otherwise.
In order to connect a fixed disk to a VM follow this procedure in VMware Player:
-    Select Hard Disk
-    Select SCSI
-    Select the correct hard drive number to be connected to the VM as displayed in Windows Disk Management and choose “Use entire disk”
-    Click finish

If the VM is now started the host will have the BSOD a few seconds into the boot of the VM.

Hi pimjoosten,

​Thank you for your post and sorry that you are having problems with Macrium Reflect.​

​Please can you open a support ticket using the following link and send us the C:\Windows\Minidump\111818-15537-01.dmp file?
http://www.macrium.com/support
​​
Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​
pimjoosten
pimjoosten
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
JamieW - 19 November 2018 9:10 AM
pimjoosten - 19 November 2018 8:18 AM

-    Select Hard Disk
-    Select SCSI
-    Click finish

Hi pimjoosten,

Thank you for your post and sorry that you are having problems with Macrium Reflect.

Please can you open a support ticket using the following link and send us the C:\Windows\Minidump\111818-15537-01.dmp file?
http://www.macrium.com/support

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your fast response. I have just opened a ticket. Even though my support has ended (purchased more than a year ago), I assumed from your reply that this was the correct way to send you the dump file.

Best regards,
Pim

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...