Read/write speed determination of flash drives?

Author
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This is kind of outside the realm of a Reflect question, but kind of in because it deals with the read/write speeds of flash drives when creating/using Rescue Media.  Is there an application that can perform read/write tests on flash drives to determine how many Mb/s it reads/writes at?  Or do you have to simply look online for specs for the flash drive in question and hope you find some listed speeds?  And I realize the results might not be precise, as many factors can affect how fast a read/write operation performs.  So, it probably wouldn't be maximum throughput for the read/write operations.

Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
I use CrystalDiskMark.  Free, no installation required, works on removable and fixed disk class devices, and tests both sequential and random I/O workloads. It even works under Windows PE.

Edited 16 November 2018 10:45 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Ah, I've heard of that many times in PCWorld.com reviews of SSD's.  I didn't know that was a free application anyone could download and use.  Thanks!

Odd.  The download I got from their web site does require installation.  No biggie for me, though.

Edited 16 November 2018 10:50 PM by dbminter
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Get the ZIP version
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Ah, that would explain it.  I figured the ZIP version was just the .EXE installer in a .ZIP file to reduce (Though not by much!) the size of downloads that they used to do to take dial up users in mind.  The ZIP version apparently contains an EXE, but it's not the installer; just a standalone app executable.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...