Reflect Patch always triggers "Critical Stop" sound

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This may well be expected, but I've noticed that every time I install an update using the Reflect patch mechanism, the default sound associated with the "Critical Stop" event (called Windows Foreground.wav) plays at the beginning of the patch process.  The patches have always succeeded, but it seems odd that there would be some type of crash upfront, and I remember an issue reported during the beta where this sound played upon exiting Reflect and it turned out that some component was indeed crashing just before Reflect exited.  If the patch application generates a log file, I'd be happy to provide it

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 12 November 2018 2:27 PM
This may well be expected, but I've noticed that every time I install an update using the Reflect patch mechanism, the default sound associated with the "Critical Stop" event (called Windows Foreground.wav) plays at the beginning of the patch process.  The patches have always succeeded, but it seems odd that there would be some type of crash upfront, and I remember an issue reported during the beta where this sound played upon exiting Reflect and it turned out that some component was indeed crashing just before Reflect exited.  If the patch application generates a log file, I'd be happy to provide it

Thanks for your post. 

This may be because there is a force termination of Reflect if it's running when the patch is started. At this time there is no negative effect to terminating all running threads as there's no backup or restore running. The 'Log View' can take while to populate and It serves no purpose to let this finish and then close the app. 

Can you check the root of C: for any .dmp files?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
No dmp files on C, and Reflect wouldn't have been running since I launched the update directly from the system tray icon and have no scheduled backups configured on this system.  But if it's expected based on how the patch mechanism is coded to operate, then no worries.  Just calling it out in case it was unexpected.  Thanks Nick!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...