Updated and possible issues

Author
BobUlius
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi folks,
Always worked like a charm, but today I updated and possible problems. First is I never got a notice that updates were available. But happened to look and there they were. Windows 10 Pro Build 17134. Reflect Home V 7.2.

I updated and rebooted. Updated the recovery files and updated my recovery USB. All good. Ran two incrementals to check and first was very slow. Second as expected.

I ALWAYS have a small windows explorer window open on my desktop. Since this update it spontaneously closes at random time. The desktop icons will all flash at the same time.

Second, I lose my WiFi connection. Shows not available, thought I can manually connect. It will then drop again with no reason.

I am watching both of these. I rebooted with the recovery USB out of the machine. Things seem a little more stable, but worrisome.

Anything here known? Anything else to watch out for?

Event manager has an application error in aesm_service.exe Event ID 1000. Also one the same for explorer.exe in ntdll.dll. Helpful at all? Both around the times of issues. Also one app model runtime event id 65.

Now, right after the updates for Reflect, I noticed (not notified as usual) about theree windows 10 updates. Defender, no issue, but two unknown Intel updates. So the problems could be Intel and not Reflect. Hard to tell.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

~Bob

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
What version of Reflect were you running prior to the update?  If it was a 7.1 release, then update notifications only occurred when you launched Reflect interactively.  There was no background update checker.  That was added for 7.2, so going forward you'll see a system tray icon when a Reflect update is available.

As for Windows Explorer, a similar issue was reported in this thread and Macrium is investigating, but there's no information on underlying cause yet.  Might want to keep an eye on that thread, though.  I can't imagine Reflect being responsible for a WiFi problem, though, nor for WiFi performance to differ based on whether a Rescue Media flash drive is connected.  And Reflect definitely wouldn't cause Intel drivers to just appear in Windows Update.

In terms of other known issues with the latest version:

- I saw one case where Macrium Image Guardian is reporting as not being installed even though it's actively running, but if you can successfully access the Other Tasks > Macrium Image Guardian Settings interface (or aren't using Image Guardian at all), then that wouldn't affect you.  If this does affect you, try an uninstall and reinstall.  If that doesn't fix it, Macrium is investigating this one.

- If you use WinPE 5 for your Rescue Media builds, it gets incorrectly identified as WinPE 4 in the Reflect title bar. This is a cosmetic issue.

- If you use WinRE for your Rescue Media builds and are running Windows 10 1809 (you're not), then it looks like there's an issue with automatic driver loading when your Rescue Media first boots, even though those same drivers work just fine if subsequently load them manually.  This does not occur on builds that came from Windows 10 1803, so it looks like Microsoft has changed or broken something -- but they've also pulled Windows 10 1809 entirely, so this might get fixed as part of a re-release anyway.

Edited 9 November 2018 6:24 PM by jphughan
BobUlius
BobUlius
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Thanks. You are right, I'm sure on the notifications. So rare I update I thought I remembered differently.

Was not saying that Intel drivers were at all related to Macrium, but this update (at least for me) now has wifi on the recovery and a coincidence that wifi started acting up?

Thanks for your reply. I shall watch everything closely.

~Bo

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
It's true that 7.2 added WiFi support for Rescue Media, but that just involves copying your WiFI driver over to your Rescue Media and making some customizations to what becomes the Boot.wim file on your Rescue Media.  It doesn't involve making any changes to how WiFi works in the "real" Windows environment.

BobUlius
BobUlius
Gotta run, but explorer just crashed again. In ntdll.dll Event Id 1000. This is a problem. Not sure if Reflect started this or not. Concerned.

Back in a few hours.

~Bob

BobUlius
BobUlius
Back and poking around.

Convinced the WiFi issue was an Intel driver issue and seems fixed.

Not yet understanding the file explorer issue. Seems stable, then if I open an additional window for a network or usb drive, even close that, some short time later file explorer crashes and closes.

Still sleuthing.

~Bob

BobUlius
BobUlius
jphughan - 9 November 2018 6:23 PM
What version of Reflect were you running prior to the update?  If it was a 7.1 release, then update notifications only occurred when you launched Reflect interactively.  There was no background update checker.  That was added for 7.2, so going forward you'll see a system tray icon when a Reflect update is available.

What do I need to set so that I am notified of new updates? I have three icons in notification area all turned off, but they do not seem to be the one I am looking for to notify me of new updates available. They are:

Macrium ... overall progress
Macrium ... Backup Running
Macrium ... Downloading updates.

Would it be the last one? Somewhere else to tick a box?

Thanks.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
BobUlius - 9 November 2018 9:55 PM
jphughan - 9 November 2018 6:23 PM

What do I need to set so that I am notified of new updates? I have three icons in notification area all turned off, but they do not seem to be the one I am looking for to notify me of new updates available. They are:

Macrium ... overall progress
Macrium ... Backup Running
Macrium ... Downloading updates.

Would it be the last one? Somewhere else to tick a box?

Thanks.

Take the  'Other Task' > 'Edit Defaults'  menu option and click 'Update'

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 9 November 2018 10:15 PM by Nick
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Adding to Nick's answer, the last one sounds right, but if it's not, then it's possible that the correct icon isn't mentioned in the system tray icon list because it hasn't been triggered on your system yet, in which case wait for it to be triggered when Macrium releases an update and then you should be able to manage whether it appears in the tray.  I just checked my own system where the updater has appeared many times since I tested some of the 7.2 beta releases, but I only have a single option for Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup, which I don't think is the right icon.  However, I also have "Always show all icons in the notification area" enabled, so maybe Windows doesn't keep my list current.

Edited 9 November 2018 10:11 PM by jphughan
BobUlius
BobUlius
Thanks both.

So if I understand, checking those options will notify an update is available, but not auto update and restart Reflect. Yes?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...