Cloning or imaging to a larger drive - resizing a partition

Author
BUffaloguy
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have read several posts on how to do this.  What I attempted today was to drag down the partitions I wanted.  I dragged down the partition containing the C drive and changed the size per the manual and posts.  I then dragged down the last few smaller partitions.  When I went back to check the resize of the C partition before beginning the operation it reverted back to its original size.  Must the resized partition be the last one on the right for this to work?  I am trying to duplicate the partitions on my OEM C drive.  Thanks for any insight.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
No, you can resize any partition in the destination.  Did you perhaps click "Copy selected partitions" after making manual sizing changes?  If you resized a partition in the Destination "row" and then dragged down remaining partitions, I've never seen that cause other partitions to revert to their original size.  I'm guessing that something you may have done when going back to check the resize might have triggered that, although I'm not sure what you had to do in order to go back and check.  In the screenshot below, I'm staging a clone from a 512GB SSD onto a 4TB hard drive.  I've expanded both the C partition and the Data partition at the end, the latter only slightly.  You can see right from the lower of the two figures in the partition "blocks" that the size of the C partition on the destination is going to be 3.33TB, compared to the original 159.66GB partition on the source -- so there's really nothing else to check.  If I clicked Next at this point, the clone would create the exact layout I've staged here.  If you're having trouble just achieving this outcome in the first place, you might need to share more detailed individual steps of what you're doing.

Edited 7 November 2018 9:20 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...