Catastrophic failure

Author
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello -- 

I just noticed this text in my last image backup log ---

Starting Image - Wednesday, November 07, 2018 09:44:50
Initializing
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Destination Drive: fpe1005(backups) (ISmile - Free Space 1012.01 GB
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB
Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers
Success

I then when on to  check the previous logs and    yesterday's had the same message  2 days ago did not
What would be the best way to correct this?

The log(s) report that the backup was OK using the alternative process

Thanks

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Frank Esposito - 7 November 2018 3:53 PM
Hello -- 

Initializing
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB
Failed: Failed - 0x8000ffff - Catastrophic failure - Retrying without VSS Writers
Success

I then when on to  check the previous logs and    yesterday's had the same message  2 days ago did not

Thanks

Thanks for posting. 

There was a problem with the Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) subsystem communicating with VSS Writers.   

The cause can be difficult to track down but running the following command from an elevated command prompt may help to pinpoint the problem:

vssadmin list writers

If the initial VSS shadow copy fails, Reflect will try again without using writers and this was successful in your case.

VSS writers are not a requirement for a successful disk image though they can add benefits. VSS Writers  are application 'Aware' which means that  applications that register a VSS Writer can get advance notification that a snapshot is being prepared. For example, for database products such as Microsoft Exchange and SQL server this enables databases to be flushed and enter a clean shutdown state, similarly MS Hyper-V will suspend/checkpoint running VMs to ensure that they are recoverable.  Most other writers aren't required by Reflect and perform no useful function when preparing a snapshot for a disk image. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 7 November 2018 4:47 PM by Nick
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)
Nick - 7 November 2018 4:19 PM
Hello -- 

Initializing
Success

Thanks

Thanks for posting. 

There was a problem with the Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS) subsystem communicating with VSS Writers.   

The cause can be difficult to track down but running the follow command from an elevated command prompt may help to pinpoint the problem:

vssadmin list writers

If the initial VSS shadow copy fails, Reflect will try again without using writers and this was successful in your case.

VSS writers are not a requirement for a successful disk image though they can add benefits. VSS Writers  are application 'Aware' which means that  applications that register a VSS Writer can get advance notification that a snapshot is being prepared. For example, for database products such as Microsoft Exchange and SQL server this enables databases to be flushed and enter a clean shutdown state, similarly MS Hyper-V will suspend/checkpoint running VMs to ensure that they are recoverable.  Most other writers aren't required by Reflect and perform no useful function when preparing a snapshot for a disk image. 

thanks for the info --- 

I was able to run the command and  output seems OK -- there were  some "time out" but does that rise to the lever of Catastrophic? 
Attachments
vss-info.txt (4 views, 2.00 KB)
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Frank Esposito - 7 November 2018 4:43 PM
Hello -- 

Initializing
Success

Thanks

Thanks for posting. 

The cause can be difficult to track down but running the follow command from an elevated command prompt may help to pinpoint the problem:

vssadmin list writers

thanks for the info --- 

I was able to run the command and  output seems OK -- there were  some "time out" but does that rise to the lever of Catastrophic? 

Any writer failure, even a timeout, will prevent the shadow copy from completing. What constitutes catastrophic is unclear but I would think is a failure to communicate via COM to at least one writer.

Is this a Server and is it rebooted frequently? 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Nick - 7 November 2018 4:54 PM
Hello -- 

Initializing
Success

Thanks

Thanks for posting. 

vssadmin list writers

thanks for the info --- 

Any writer failure, even a timeout, will prevent the shadow copy from completing. What constitutes catastrophic is unclear but I would think is a failure to communicate via COM to at least one writer.

Hello -- Thanks for the reply -- no  laptop  running w10 64b pro?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Frank Esposito - 7 November 2018 5:38 PM
Hello -- 

Initializing
Success

Thanks

Thanks for posting. 

vssadmin list writers

thanks for the info --- 

It's going to be difficult to track down and may possibly be caused by another app that's been installed.

Try 'Other Tasks' > 'Fix VSS Problems'  and reboot. This will re-register the stock VSS components.  Also check the Reflect VS log and events as shown here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Identifying%2C+diagnosing+and+reporting+VSS+errors

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Talented Member
Nick - 7 November 2018 6:00 PM
Frank Esposito - 7 November 2018 5:38 PM
Hello -- 

Initializing
Success

Thanks

Thanks for posting. 

vssadmin list writers

thanks for the info --- 

It's going to be difficult to track down and may possibly be caused by another app that's been installed.

Try 'Other Tasks' > 'Fix VSS Problems'  and reboot. This will re-register the stock VSS components.  Also check the Reflect VS log and events as shown here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Identifying%2C+diagnosing+and+reporting+VSS+errors

Hello ---  I use the  "fix option" and rebooted  as noted --- I then ran the "list writers"  option and this time there were no  "time outs" from
any of the writers ---  Thanks

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...