Cannot access older NAS

Author
marklang
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just upgraded to Reflect 7.2.3825, and I created new restore media.    When I booted the USB media to test it, it worked fine.   However, when it tried to access backup files on my older Thecus N7700Pro NAS, it could not.  I got a message saying that it "cannot access the file share because it is not secure.  This share requires the obsolete protocol SMB1."   It is an older unit that Thecus has not updated in quite a while, so it may use an older protocol.  However, I want to access it anyway.  Is there some setting or other change I can make to allow the recovery environment to access the older  NAS?   I tried it with the Windows version, and it seems to access it fine.  

This may have been present in earlier versions, also, but I have not noticed it until now.  This new media uses the Windows RE as the base rather than Windows PE.   I don't know if that is the difference.   

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
The new PE version is the culprit.  WinRE, a new option for 7.2, uses the WinPE version on your PC's Recovery partition, which would match whatever version of Windows you're running.  The WinPE options in Rescue Media Builder would use whichever version you select.  However, even if you selected WinPE 10, Reflect 7.2 uses WinPE 10 1709, whereas Reflect 7.1 used WinPE 10 1607 -- and judging by this thread, it appears that SMB1 was deprecated starting with WinPE 10 1709.  That thread does offer a fix, but it's not ideal for the average user, and it would be a bit tedious to do that every time you needed to update your Rescue Media.  Therefore I would suggest investigating the following solutions, in order of preference from ideal to least ideal:

- See if your NAS has a firmware update that allows it to support newer versions of SMB.  SMB1 really is very old and insecure at this point, and it's also a lot slower than newer versions.  SMB is up to V3.0, fyi, and even SMB 2.0 was introduced over a decade ago now.
- Drop down to WinPE 5.  There are relatively few things that WinPE 10 adds over WinPE 5 that are relevant for Rescue Media.  The only things that come to mind are support for newer BitLocker encryption schemes and DPI scaling support, the latter ofwhich is very useful if you have a very high resolution display, because without DPI scaling support, text would be microscopic in that situation.
- If you need features in WinPE 10 and your NAS can't be updated, the DISM commands in the thread I linked above should do the trick, although they're not totally comprehensive.  Basically, you'd build your Rescue Media first, then use DISM to mount the Boot.wim file inside the Sources folder on the Rescue Media, enter those commands to enable SMB1, then use DISM to unmount the image while committing the changes.  I can provide more details about that if needed. But you'll also have to do this every time Reflect updates its own Rescue Media build.

Edited 14 November 2018 6:08 PM by jphughan
marklang
marklang
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, Thecus has not offered any updates to my NAS firmware since 2014.  They came out with a v. 2 of my device, and the firmware is not compatible.   I don't want to upgrade it at this point.  I actually have a newer NAS from Synology that is my main backup device.   I am using the Thecus as a backup for it as long as it lasts because it is very fast.  I would only need to access Reflect backup files if something happened to my Synology.   I would like to keep that option, but I guess I will have to see how complicated that would be.   I will try posting on the Thecus forum when my registration is reactivated to see if they have any options.  

Unfortunately, I am having problems accessing the link you provided.   Can you provide the same information?

I am curious that I seem to be able to access the old Thecus N7700PRO when I run Reflect from the regular computer environment, now Windows 10 1803.   I wonder why this would work, but the RE recovery environment does not. 

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
It's possible that Microsoft is starting by deprecating SMB1 only in WinPE for a given Windows kernel and will eventually move that deprecation policy into the "main" Windows environment.  Or some other application you installed in your "main" Windows environment may have already forcibly enabled SMB1.  I'm surprised you're having trouble accessing the link since it's just a Microsoft TechNet forum, but since it wasn't complete anyway, I've provided a step-by-step below, although again I would really recommend trying to build your Rescue Media using WinPE 5 first, unless there's some reason you know you need WinPE 10.  There is absolutely no requirement that the WinPE version you use for Rescue Media match the "real" Windows version you're running.

But if you have to resort to manual modification, here's what you'd do.  I'm going to assume you're using Rescue Media on a USB flash drive.  If you need to use optical media, this becomes a bit more complicated because in addition to the below, you'd need to repackage the Rescue Media into a bootable ISO before burning it to disc.  But if you're ok with USB, here's what you'd do:

- Build your Rescue Media to a flash drive as normal.
- Create an empty folder somewhere on your C drive.  The example below assumes it is C:\WIM.  It also assumes your flash drive is assigned drive letter X.  Make substitutions there as necessary.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt and enter the below:
dism /mount-image /ImageFile:"X:\sources\boot.wim" /Index:1 /MountDir:"C:\wim"
dism /image:"C:\wim" /enable-feature /featurename:SMB1Protocol
dism /image:"C:\wim" /enable-feature /featurename:SMB1Protocol-Client
dism /image:"C:\wim" /enable-feature /featurename:SMB1Protocol-Server
reg load "HKLM\Winpe" "C:\WIM\Windows\System32\config\default"
reg add "HKLM\winpe\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" /v "SMB1" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg unload "HKLM\Winpe"
dism /unmount-image /MountDir:"C:\wim" /commit

You may want to save the above commands as a batch file if you go this route, and then as long as you keep using the same empty folder and your Rescue Media has the same drive letter, you can just run the batch file (with elevated privileges) whenever you update your Rescue Media in order to make these changes.

Edited 7 November 2018 3:16 PM by jphughan
marklang
marklang
That is very clear.  Thanks so much.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
marklang - 7 November 2018 4:01 PM
That is very clear.  Thanks so much.

You're welcome.  Please test that and report back, though, since I did not independently confirm that this works.  I am familiar with the DISM tool and these types of modifications, so the portion I copied from the TechNet forum looks correct (and it was confirmed by users there to resolve a similar issue), but it's always good to verify.  The other thing to keep in mind is that this is typically how Microsoft deprecation works.  In one release, it gets switched off by default but can be re-enabled, sometimes by jumping through hoops like this.  But that usually means that within the next release or two, the deprecated feature will be removed entirely and will therefore not be available for resurrection like this.  But if this works, then I guess you'll be safe at least until Reflect updates their WinPE 10 build to use a newer release than 1709.  At that point you'd probably have to either fall back to WinPE 5, stop using that NAS, or tell Reflect to build its Rescue Media on top of a custom WIM, but that last option is even more effort and may not always work.

Edited 7 November 2018 4:30 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...