File Explorer crashing after update to MR 7.2 Build 3825

Author
ChainMigration
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Shortly after updating MR Home Edition to v 7.2 Build 3825, I started experiencing crashes with File Explorer.  Never had File Explorer crash prior, so not sure if the two events are related or not.  Usually it occurs when I have two instances of explorer running, and one copy is set to my backup folder.  Seems random, cannot give a set of steps that would cause the crash that I can think of. Yes, I am running Image Guardian. No I haven't turned it off for a while to see if happens again.  No I am not copying data via File Explorer at the time of the crashes. Anyone else experiencing File Explorer crashes? 
Thanks,
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
ChainMigration - 6 November 2018 5:22 PM
Shortly after updating MR Home Edition to v 7.2 Build 3825, I started experiencing crashes with File Explorer.  Never had File Explorer crash prior, so not sure if the two events are related or not.  Usually it occurs when I have two instances of explorer running, and one copy is set to my backup folder.  Seems random, cannot give a set of steps that would cause the crash that I can think of. Yes, I am running Image Guardian. No I haven't turned it off for a while to see if happens again.  No I am not copying data via File Explorer at the time of the crashes. Anyone else experiencing File Explorer crashes? 
Thanks,

Thanks for posting.  The shell extensions used with Macrium Reflect were not updated in 7.2.3825 and we've had no reports of any issues with Windows Explorer. 

Can you check your Windows Event log in Windows Logs -> Application and look for events with source 'Application Error' & 'Windows Error Reporting'. It's possible that there may be more information there that could help to pin point the cause.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 6 November 2018 6:51 PM by Nick
ChainMigration
ChainMigration
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Nick - 6 November 2018 6:51 PM
Thanks,

Thanks for posting.  The shell extensions used with Macrium Reflect were not updated in 7.2.3825 and we've had no reports of any issues with Windows Explorer. 

Can you check your Windows Event log in Windows Logs -> Application and look for events with source 'Application Error' & 'Windows Error Reporting'. It's possible that there may be more information there that could help to pin point the cause.

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the response.  Yes, there is an entry in the Windows Application event log.  Here are the details:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0x4031a9f8
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.254, time stamp: 0xa5a334d4
Exception code: 0xc000071f
Fault offset: 0x00000000000aac1b
Faulting process id: 0x1f58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d475cc467b73fd
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 913b69e8-9cc8-4158-8474-9d3d2b45807b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

From that, I don't know how to tell what the cause is, other than something went wrong in ntdll.dll.  But I believe that is a general dll in Windows, so anything could be causing it.  I have followed some other advice I've found, such as set the Explore option to run in a separate process, clear Explorer history, as well as reset winsock.  I'll give it more time to see if any of those clear things up.
Cheers,
-cm-

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
ChainMigration - 7 November 2018 12:36 AM
Thanks,

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the response.  Yes, there is an entry in the Windows Application event log.  Here are the details:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0x4031a9f8
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.254, time stamp: 0xa5a334d4

From that, I don't know how to tell what the cause is, other than something went wrong in ntdll.dll.  But I believe that is a general dll in Windows, so anything could be causing it.  I have followed some other advice I've found, such as set the Explore option to run in a separate process, clear Explorer history, as well as reset winsock.  I'll give it more time to see if any of those clear things up.
Cheers,
-cm-

Thanks for the info...

Are you running a product called 'WinPatrol' by any chance?   We've noticed explorer crashing since installing the same and can see evidence in the Explorer debug output...

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

ChainMigration
ChainMigration
Nick - 7 November 2018 10:00 AM
ChainMigration - 7 November 2018 12:36 AM
Thanks,

Hi Nick,

Cheers,
-cm-

Thanks for the info...

Are you running a product called 'WinPatrol' by any chance?   We've noticed explorer crashing since installing the same and can see evidence in the Explorer debug output...

Hello,
No, not running WinPatrol.   I had never heard of that one before.  Just "Googled" it and confirmed I'd never heard of it before.  To be sure, I opened Task Manager, and WinPatrol.exe not present.  Since my last post, I haven't use File Explorer much, so haven't experienced the issue again since implementing the "fixes" I mentioned previously (clear history, run explorer in separate process, and reset winsock).  I will put File Explorer more to the test today and report back (good or bad) in a day or two.  Thank you for following up.  For clarification, I am running Windows 10 Pro 1803.  I'm a late adopter so I don't plan on going to 1809 until probably end of December.
-cm-
BobUlius
BobUlius
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
I have exactly the same issue. Cannot repeat, but happens spontaneously with nothing I can point to as the cause. Never happened before today, but truth be told, also update a few Windows 10 things such as two Intel drivers.

I also get a similar error in aesm.exe.

I believe I update from an early 7 version to the most current 7.2 today.

All below the same except for the process ID, of course:

~Bob

BobUlius
BobUlius
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Posted in my other thread, but to confirm for this OP:

I can reproduce the problem!!!

As mentioned, I ALWAYS keep a file explorer window open, usually to something on C:\.

I backup to two external drives - a network NAS and an attached USB. Two different scripts, one for each location.

If I open either external drive, go to the backups folder, let it populate it will crash file explorer and close all file explorer windows. SO it IS a Macrium issue and changed with my updates today.

Can you help?

~Bob

ChainMigration
ChainMigration
BobUlius - 10 November 2018 2:05 AM
Posted in my other thread, but to confirm for this OP:

I can reproduce the problem!!!

As mentioned, I ALWAYS keep a file explorer window open, usually to something on C:\.

I backup to two external drives - a network NAS and an attached USB. Two different scripts, one for each location.

If I open either external drive, go to the backups folder, let it populate it will crash file explorer and close all file explorer windows. SO it IS a Macrium issue and changed with my updates today.

Can you help?

~Bob

Hello,
OP here.  I went a couple of days without the File Explorer crash happening, so I thought I may have had this beat.  However, File Explorer started crashing again.  The pattern I am seeing is this (at least for me):
- I have at least two instances of File Explorer running;
- One instance is opened to my backup folder, which is on an external USB drive. Image Guardian is turned on;
- The other instance is opened to my logs folder on my C: drive (C:\Util\Logs for me);
- I have a separate PC on my home network that also runs MR (I have multiple licenses), that uses RoboCopy to copy each pc's .mrbak files to a central location. Similar consolidation/concept as a NAS, but this other pc is just a regular pc running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1803 and not a NAS.  When that copy occurs running from the other PC, File Explorer on my local/main PC crashes. 
To clarify, I have a script that runs on a "backup" PC using RoboCopy to copy mrbak files for my home network's PC, and when that (remote) script runs, my local/main PC file explorer crashes.

This is something I've been doing for a long time successfully, so this is not a new process for me. But File Explorer started crashing after the last MR update applied. Whenever an issue appears, you always ask "what's changed?", and the MR update was the only thing that had changed.

Thanks for listening!
-cm-

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
New Reflect update arrived today, whose release notes specifically mention fixing this issue.

ChainMigration
ChainMigration
Thank you for the notification.  I just now applied the patch and rebooted.  Will keep an eye on it to see if the issue is gone.
If this does fix the issue, I want to thank Macrium for listening and providing a quick turn around on the fix.
Thank you,
-cm-

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...