Format USB hard drive failed after using diskpart clean which also removes drive letter

Author
Keith Weisshar
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Open handle to physical drive: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
Read drive geometry
Check for active FAT32 partition in removable media
No partitions on USB drive
Check track zero writeable
Track zero is writeable for selected disk
Calculate space required for PE files
PE File Count: 220 requiring 1024.0 MB disk space
Determine target volume for WinPE files
Free space at end of disk: 7.28 TB
No valid partition discovered
Ensure target disk can accomodate WinPE files
User selected to initialise target disk
Initialising target disk as MBR
Partition successfully created
Formatting target paritition
Failed to format newly created volume - GetVolumeFromDiskAndPartiton failed

Keith Weisshar
Keith Weisshar
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)Proficient Member (292 reputation)
Nick, can you respond to what's causing the format error created in my USB rescue media log file I copied and pasted in my original post.  This error occurs with external hard drive, not USB flash drive.
Edited 10 November 2018 8:37 AM by Keith Weisshar
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
I’m going to guess the issue is that the disk is too large to be used with the MBR layout, and Reflect doesn’t support building Rescue Media to GPT disks, as has already been established in another thread you participated in. However, I don’t have a disk that large I’m willing to wipe just to test this in order to confirm. I see the log saying it initialized the disk as MBR, but I’m wondering if that actually happened, since Windows Disk Management would have the MBR option grayed out if you initialized the disk that way after running “diskpart clean”.
Edited 10 November 2018 2:18 PM by jphughan
Sheltieuk
Sheltieuk
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Have you tried creating a small 1-2Gb Fat 32 partition on your USB disk and installing the rescue environment to that partitoin, you could then boot from that, it certainly works for me, this small partition also needs to be set as active too, see below for my disk setup:-

Keith Weisshar
Keith Weisshar
Proficient Member
Fixed in 7.2.3858 but it will use MBR with 2TB per volume limit.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
If you have that 8TB disk set up as MBR and create a 2TB partition, can you actually create another usable 2TB partition after it? I’ve seen conflicting information about that. Some claim it’s possible because the only limit is partition size, whereas others say that the MBR partition table can’t accurately point to a partition that starts at a sector past the 2TB point of the disk, and therefore that the 2TB limit applies to the whole disk.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...