Windows 10 RE recovery media fails on device with 1GB RAM

Author
BlackCat
Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've been using the free version of Reflect 6 and subsequently 7 for some time with complete success on a 32-bit Windows 10 Linx 8 tablet with 1GB RAM.  I've used the PE rescue media so far and thought it would be more convenient to use the RE recovery media with V7.2 because no additional downloads are necessary.  However, on booting into the RE recovery media I was greeted by a blue screen and an error message along the lines of "not enough memory to create a RAM disk". :-(

Would it be possible for the media builder to inspect the installed RAM and warn if there is insufficent RAM for the RE recovery media to work reliably on the device in question?

Thanks, BlackCat

Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)
BlackCat - 4 November 2018 8:39 PM
I've been using the free version of Reflect 6 and subsequently 7 for some time with complete success on a 32-bit Windows 10 Linx 8 tablet with 1GB RAM.  I've used the PE rescue media so far and thought it would be more convenient to use the RE recovery media with V7.2 because no additional downloads are necessary.  However, on booting into the RE recovery media I was greeted by a blue screen and an error message along the lines of "not enough memory to create a RAM disk". :-(

Would it be possible for the media builder to inspect the installed RAM and warn if there is insufficent RAM for the RE recovery media to work reliably on the device in question?

Thanks, BlackCat

I have had same issues - basically winre just increases RAMDISK needs enough that 1GB RAM is not enough.  The minimum spec is 2GB for W10 now.  It is a pity as the ability to back up a (1GB) tablet over wifi would be really great.

​​Unless the installer is changed to work as an extracted file layout version which can use storage RAM if needed, I doubt a solution is possible.  An EFL version is essentially a mini version of Windows running from disk like Windows rather than running all in a RAM Disk.  It would be slower of course.
I am going to experiment to see if I can set up an EFL version.​

​​​

​​
Attachments
m1.png (0 views, 8.00 KB)
BlackCat
BlackCat
Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)Junior Member (92 reputation)
It seems to be ok if you disable WiFi support in the rescue media, certainly in v7.2.3906.  I've tested it on several tablets with 1GB RAM and all were fine with RE when WiFi was disabled.  A couple of them actually worked with WiFi enabled but, if you don't need WiFi,  it seems an unnecessary risk against making it work succesfully in a crisis. Once advantage of the RE environment is that touch screen works, which is nice.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...