Backup comments

Author
BGregory
Talented Member
Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I seem to remember a way to specify a comment every time a backup is performed using something like $prompt$ which would cause a user prompt to be displayed.  Unfortunately I did a search but could not find anything on the option.  Was/am I dreaming?

Bob Grgeory

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
"Prompt" is available from either a <right-click"/Run now option on the Definition itself or from the ToolBar ICON called "Run the backup definition."  Both options offer the PROMPT window which offers the selection of any type of backup as well as a COMMENT field to be included with that backup.
BGregory
BGregory
Talented Member
Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)Talented Member (157 reputation)
Froggie - 5 November 2018 1:10 AM
"Prompt" is available from either a <right-click"/Run now option on the Definition itself or from the ToolBar ICON called "Run the backup definition."  Both options offer the PROMPT window which offers the selection of any type of backup as well as a COMMENT field to be included with that backup.

Thanks Froggie.
I knew about this option but I should have been more specific and what I really was thinking was a command line option.  I run most of my backups using shortcuts
and it would be nice to be prompted for a comment when the backup starts.  I rarely use the GUI to initiate backups.

Bob Gregory

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
@BGregory - Ahhhh... Bob, you didn't mention ShortCuts Smile

Using the Reflect UI, SELECT the definition you wish to ShortCut.  Then use the ToolBar ICON called "Create a DeskTop shortcut of the selected file" (right next to the WRENCH icon).  A li'l window pops up needing a "Backup type" selection via DropDown (select PROMPT) and a name ("Target") for the ShortCut itself (you can always change it later) then a quick OK.

This produces a DeskTop ShortCut that when you <double-click> it, will produce the PROMPT dialogue screen described above.  Feel free to place the produced Desktop ShortCut anywhere you wish.

I use this feature all the time when I'm doing MANUAL snapshots of my System prior to some serious (questionable?) testing .  Smile
BGregory
BGregory
Talented Member
Froggie - 5 November 2018 1:23 PM
@BGregory - Ahhhh... Bob, you didn't mention ShortCuts Smile

Using the Reflect UI, SELECT the definition you wish to ShortCut.  Then use the ToolBar ICON called "Create a DeskTop shortcut of the selected file" (right next to the WRENCH icon).  A li'l window pops up needing a "Backup type" selection via DropDown (select PROMPT) and a name ("Target") for the ShortCut itself (you can always change it later) then a quick OK.

This produces a DeskTop ShortCut that when you <double-click> it, will produce the PROMPT dialogue screen described above.  Feel free to place the produced Desktop ShortCut anywhere you wish.

I use this feature all the time when I'm doing MANUAL snapshots of my System prior to some serious (questionable?) testing .  Smile

Thanks Froggie.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Sorry I didn't explain it more fully the first time.
Bob Gregory
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...