How to reclaim some space on my hard drive

Author
sjs94704
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On my PC when I installed Macrium it divided up my hard drive as follows:
How can I free up some of this space to use for other things?
I am NOT a technical person, so please keep your answers very simple and basic ??!!??!!
It just seem like I could use that space for storage!
I don't like how this software does this and divides things up this way!
How do I reclaim some of this space?

What do I do?
1-SYSTEM (None)
FAT32 (LBA) Primary:
28.5 MB  used out of 260.0 MB
2- (None)
Unformatted Primary
128.0 MB
3- Windows (CSmile
NTSF Primary
42.34 used out of 443.43
4- WinRE_DRV (None)
NTSF Primary  385.8 out of 1000.0 MB
5- LENOVO_PART    (BTW, Lenovo is the brand of my PC)
12.56 out of 20.0 MB
6- LRS_ESP (None)
FAT32 (LBA) Primary
413.9 MB out of 1000.0 MB
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)Expert (643 reputation)
Reflect did NOT divide your disk.  It is just showing you how your disk is (was) divided.  Note that all those partitions, except one are very small.  The Primary partition is 443.43 GB and you are only using 10% of it.  All the other partitions combined amount to less than 1 percent of your disk drive space.  Most of those partitions are needed to allow your computer to boot.  Some could be removed - but the space is so small in comparison to your total drive space, it would make almost no difference.  And you are only using 10% of the space you DO have available to you.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Drac144 is right.  All of those other partitions already existed but are simply configured not to be assigned a drive letter by default, so you wouldn't see them in regular Windows Explorer.  You'd need to use a tool like Disk Management, diskpart, or of course Reflect.  The first 4 partitions are the default partitions for a Windows installation on a UEFI-based PC, so you don't want to delete those.  As for the fifth, are you sure it's 20MB rather than 20GB?  If it's 20MB, it might contain some basic diagnostics tools; if it's 20GB, it probably contains a factory restore image.  The sixth partition is the Lenovo Recovery System partition that contains the application to allow you to restore your system to its factory state.  You'd boot into that by using Lenovo's One-Key Recovery button.  You could delete the fifth and sixth partitions if you wanted to and you wouldn't disrupt Windows, but you'd lose the ability to restore your system back to its factory state if that's important to you.  However, since you'd still have that Recovery partition (#4) sitting between your main Windows partition (your C drive) and that free space, you wouldn't just be able to allocate that newly freed up space to your C drive without jumping through a few hoops, and if you're a self-described non-technical person it's probably not worth the effort.

But as Drac144 also noted, those partitions combined are only a small portion of your total hard drive capacity.  The rectangles representing the various partitions on your drive are NOT completely to scale, otherwise some of those would be microscopic on the partition map and you wouldn't be able to see their labels.

Edited 3 November 2018 9:42 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...