v7.2.3811 New Rescue Media Question

Author
CraigS26
Talented Member
Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Win 7-64 SP1 with Res Media PE10 (Release 1607 - 64 Bit) ....
I'm PE10 - vs - 3.1 because of an "in case of ??" that maybe JPH/somebody suggested & that I've forgotten -- BUT PE10 HAS Restored Fine multi-times.

From a ghacks.net article (bottom) on the new .3811 Update - per article - I clk'd on Create Rescue Media to explore New RM Wi-Fi Sppt & a popup offered a NEW Rescue Media which I accepted.
I now show Rescue Media [ Rel (still) 1607 for Ver 7.2.3811 ].
During Re-build I DECLINED a 1 GB dnload RM Rel 1709 since I don't have Win 10.
Since I WAS / STILL am Rel 1607 I'm curious IF anything really changed for v.3811, and AM I right that Rel 1709 was irrelevant for my Win 7?
Assuming I'm OK AND something Really Changed for .3811, THEN I must Update my USB / CD Rescue Media, Right?
Many Thanks!

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/31/backup-program-macrium-reflect-7-2-released-with-lots-of-changes/

Macrium V7.2.3811 - WIN 7-64 Hm Prem - Firefox / IE11 - ESET EIS - MBAM v3 - SuperAS Pro - Diskeeper Pro - EPIM Mail -  - NO Java - Flash

Edited 7 November 2018 10:13 PM by CraigS26
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
WiFi support requires using WinRE, which will use whatever version of WinPE exists on your system's Recovery partition.  The idea is that it allows users to avoid downloading large WinPE ADK packages from Microsoft.  On your Win7 system, your WinRE environment would be based on WinPE 3.1, and selecting WinRE in Reflect can only add WiFi support if your WinRE partition is built on WinPE 10.  So bottom line, your system can't build WiFi-capable Rescue Media.

The reason you were prompted to download WinPE 10 1709 is because thus far you've been using WinPE 10, and Reflect 7.2 supports a newer version of WinPE 10 than 7.1 did, so 7.2 is just trying to bring your WinPE 10 environment more current.  Unless you want to switch back to PE 3.1, either by selecting WinRE on your particular system or explicitly selecting WinPE 3.1, I would allow the WinPE 10 1709 download to occur.  As for relevancy, it's not relevant to the fact that you're on Windows 7; again, it's just that you're using WinPE 10 for Rescue Media, and 7.2 can work with a newer version of it than 7.1 could.  I don't offhand know all the differences between WinPE 10 1607 and WinPE 10 1709.  I know that support for multi-partition flash drives is one, but that's admittedly not a widely used feature.

Edited 1 November 2018 1:29 PM by jphughan
CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)
jphughan - 1 November 2018 1:23 PM
Wi-Fi support requires using WinRE, which will use whatever version of WinPE exists on your system's Recovery partition.  The idea is that it allows users to avoid downloading large WinPE ADK packages from Microsoft.  On your Win7 system, your WinRE environment would be based on WinPE 3.1, and selecting WinRE in Reflect can only add WiFi support if your WinRE partition is built on WinPE 10.  So bottom line, your system can't build WiFi-capable Rescue Media.

The reason you were prompted to download WinPE 10 1709 is because thus far you've been using WinPE 10, and Reflect 7.2 supports a newer version of WinPE 10 than 7.1 did, so 7.2 is just trying to bring your WinPE 10 environment more current.  Unless you want to switch back to PE 3.1, either by selecting WinRE on your particular system or explicitly selecting WinPE 3.1, I would allow the WinPE 10 1709 download to occur.  As for relevancy, it's not relevant to the fact that you're on Windows 7; again, it's just that you're using WinPE 10 for Rescue Media, and 7.2 can work with a newer version of it than 7.1 could.  I don't offhand know all the differences between WinPE 10 1607 and WinPE 10 1709.  I know that support for multi-partition flash drives is one, but that's admittedly not a widely used feature.

After 1709 failed to be offered on a Re-try it subsequently appeared and I've made all Rescue Media (OS + USB / CD-R)  v7.2.3811  Rel 1709.
I'll think more on 3.1 / RE  as even with plenty disk space 1 GB dnloads aren't that appealing when you don't have Win 10.
Thanks!

Macrium V7.2.3811 - WIN 7-64 Hm Prem - Firefox / IE11 - ESET EIS - MBAM v3 - SuperAS Pro - Diskeeper Pro - EPIM Mail -  - NO Java - Flash

Edited 6 November 2018 3:38 PM by CraigS26
CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
As this machine will always be Win 7 I think I'd like to get out of PE10 and convert to RE/3.1 --- so future 1 GB (PE10) Dnloads for updates aren't requ'd.
Wi-Fi not important .......although even with RE 3.1 hi-lighted the Add Wi-Fi Sppt still is active / chk'd in Options.

Will current PE10 Images be rendered Unusable in an RE mode?

A Murphy's Law guy, can you confirm correctness of my steps below:

PE10 to RE - 3.1
Create Rescue Media Tab
Sel: Windows Boot Menu
Advanced Tab Below
Choose: Base WIM Tab
Sel: Win RE – OK
See Boot Menu Option @ bottom
Sel: Set Boot Menu – Win RE 3.1 (64 bit)
Clk: Build ...... & PE10 data is deleted or overwritten with RE, etc.
Following That I Re-create my USB / CD-R media to same.
Many Thanks as always!!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
If you switch to PE 3.1, your PE 10 media won't be rendered unusable, nor will it be deleted.  Reflect would simply cache a second Rescue Media build on your system under C:\boot\macrium, since there are some cases where people might need to maintain two separate versions.  Then you choose which one you want to use to generate a given Rescue Media device or boot menu entry by changing the Change Base WIM selection going forward.  Or if you don't want to keep the PE 10 build at all anymore, you can manually delete the PE 10 build folder in there at any time.  If you ever want it back, then just change the WIM selection back to PE 10 and Reflect will build it from scratch again, keeping your PE 3.1 build intact in its own folder

CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
Thanks for that help.
When I build up two RE-3.1 Full's + Incr's in each of two alternating ext Bkup Drives ( 1 Full weekly + daily Incr ) I'll no longer want to keep PE10 and saved images.

["you can manually delete the PE 10 build folder in there"]
In C:\boot\Macrium .... I see WA5KFiles dated 11/7 ---- WA10KFiles dated 11/6, and (surely irrelevant) WAIKFiles with (3) contents dated 4/17/17 and (3) dated 4/11/15.
WA5 and WA10 being dated 1-day apart - not clear what a Manual Delete of PE10 "build folder" involves.

At normal Boot I'm always offered a screen with Win 7 AND Macrium just below it to select.
["some cases where people might need to maintain two separate versions"] implies a PE10 made image needs to be used in the PE10 Rescue environment & same for RE made images .......
Just for time I have - PE10 AND RE-3.1 - -- will I see TWO Macriums on the boot screen, 10 & RE. HOW does that work for matching the PE10 or RE Rescue mode to the particular 10 or RE Image version?
Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "two RE-3.1 Fulls + Incr's".  WinRE just refers to Rescue Media.  That is entirely separate from actual Full or Incremental backups.  Even if you're using Rescue Media to create your backups, it doesn't matter what version of WinPE the backup was created with.  If you made a backup using WinPE 10 Rescue Media, you can restore it with WinPE/RE 3.1 Rescue Media, and vice versa -- assuming of course that the Rescue Media has the necessary drivers or built-in support to work with the necessary hardware on your PC, but that has nothing to do with the backup files themselves.  My comment about people keeping multiple Rescue Media builds was more for people who work in IT and might use a single PC to build or maintain Rescue Media that might get used on multiple other PCs in the organization that they support.  Macrium offers a Technician's License for this purpose, for example.  If such an IT staffer had some systems that only booted with one version of WinPE or the other, it can be handy to be able to build suitable Rescue Media for any supported PC all from their own PC.

The WA5KFiles folder would be a PE 5.0 build.  WA10KFiles would be WinPE 10.  A WinRE build would be under WinREFiles.  I'm not sure what WAIKFiles is -- maybe that's PE 3.1?  Anyhow, you can just delete the WA10KFiles folder if you don't want it anymore, and WA5Files.  Since you use the recovery boot menu option though, I would recommend first disabling that, then deleting anything you don't think you need, and then re-enabling it.  That will make sure you don't accidentally delete something that your current recovery boot menu option is using.  By disabling the option first, even if you accidentally delete something that's needed, Reflect will recreate it.  There's nothing in there that wouldn't be replaced automatically if it's ever needed

Edited 8 November 2018 5:13 PM by jphughan
CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
Many Thanks! It seems much more complicated than you describe as I really thought a PE10 made image had to be used in Recovery within a PE10 "mode" on the computer or USB.
When I rebuild the Rescue Media and choose RE-3.1 it seems to me THAT defines the resulting image Vs PE10. I did not believe the Rescue method was oblivious to whether PE10 media made the Image used to recover or RE.

That's why I live by and appreciate Forum help. Thanks again!

Edited 8 November 2018 5:28 PM by CraigS26
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The WinPE version is basically just the OS that Reflect Rescue runs on. The different PE/RE options are there purely because differences across versions mean that certain versions are easier to get working on certain PCs.  Some PCs (or customer backup strategies) require capabilities only supported by newer WinPE versions, while other PCs only boot properly on legacy versions.  But basically, as long as the Rescue Media boots on your PC and Reflect can see all the hardware you need it to see (hard drives, USB peripherals, possibly network cards and network shares), then the PE version doesn't really matter.  Reflect itself operates the same way regardless of PE version once it can see what it needs, just as it does when running in "real" Windows.  Incidentally, the Choose Base WIM tab does a pretty good job of explaining what each newer version adds over the earlier ones.

There’s a case to be made for using the PE/RE version that matches your installed Windows version (driver injection is usually easier, WinRE doesn’t require downloading a large package from Microsoft), but there are other scenarios where using the latest version can be useful. For example, someone on an older Windows 7 PC had WinPE 3.1 Rescue Media and had an unexpected hardware failure. He went out and bought a new PC and tried to restore his image onto it using his Rescue Media, only to be stopped in his tracks. Reflect couldn’t see his new PC’s internal SSD, his external hard drive where the image was, or even use his USB keyboard or mouse. The reason is that WinPE 3.1 has no native support for NVMe SSDs or USB 3.0. WinPE 5 and above have native support for both. Once he built WinPE 10 media, he was good to go. Other Windows 7 users have found that the USB 3.0 drivers in their "real" Windows environment don't work properly in WinPE 3.1, so they just use a newer PE version that has native USB 3.0 support to work around that.  As another edge example that can come up in a migration scenario, WinPE 10 supports DPI scaling, so if you get a laptop with 4K resolution crammed into a 13-15” display and are using Rescue Media with an older PE version, text will be microscopic.
Edited 8 November 2018 5:52 PM by jphughan
CraigS26
CraigS26
Talented Member
NOW you've reminded me why I must have gone to PE10. My Gateway is June '12 and the what if's are daunting when the drive dies.
I've learned a lot and appreciate the generosity with your knowledge.
All the Best!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...