Verification issue

Author
Stuart Tunstall
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
HI

I have had an issue wiyh my backups on my external drive, last night I had to delete them all as they all came up as being corrupt and I could not access the drive...

Deleting them and starting again sort of fixed the issue, incremental backed up and verified, but the two full I have tried back up but will not verify... I have manually tried to verify and received this message

Any idea why? is my drive on the way out? been ok up until now...

A reboot made no difference.

Stuart
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Have you tried backing up to a different drive?  I recently had a drive failure that was preceded by two consecutive cases of the backup completing successfully but the Synthetic Full consolidation operation failing.  I didn't notice it initially because Reflect flagged those jobs as successful, since technically the backup completed, so nothing looked amiss when looking down the icons in the Log view.  Thankfully as of Reflect 7.2, there's now a possible "Warning" outcome that would be used for this type of situation.  Anyway, I noticed the issue while looking through logs for something else, and when I reconnected that drive (the client used a disk rotation, so it hadn't been used since the backup), it wouldn't even mount anymore. It came up as an uninitialized disk, and even when I tried to reinitialize it, I saw an error about some hardware issue.  And that was that.

I would say that if you've already had to delete backups due to corruption and you're now still having trouble with new ones, then there's a decent chance your drive is on the way out.  Testing another drive would be useful to rule out less likely issues such as something going on with the USB port/controller, but I personally would have already junked that drive.  If my data is corrupted and there isn't a clear reason why, which means that the the drive itself is suspect, then I'm done with it.  I have a one-strike policy when it comes to data corruption. Data is too important, and hard drives too cheap, to put up with shaky reliability.

Edited 31 October 2018 10:17 PM by jphughan
Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)
Thanks for the reply.

I took the drive t work today and scanned it, took about 2 hours to scan the 2TB drive and came back errors were found and fixed... I then scanned again and it took a couple of minutes..

At home I opened Macrium and verified the image, it went to 57% then "not responding".... Just doing the incremental and it is taking a lot longer than usual...

When I connect the drive file explorer opens and show the files....

Do you still suspect the drive? tried another lead and that makes no difference and 33 different USB ports..

New drive tomorrow I suspect..

Strange thing is the transfer rate seems good... I am confused...

I have just quick formated the drive to see what happens and now running a full back up... up to 24% and not responding again... Does this confirm a drive issue to you? 

Edited 1 November 2018 8:51 PM by Stuart Tunstall
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Again the best test would be to test creating a backup to another destination, but based on the behavior you're reporting and the fact that you've already replaced USB cables and switched ports to no avail, it does sound to me like there might be a certain area of the disk that's having trouble being read and/or written.  It's actually not all that unusual for a drive to perform normally when accessing content on the majority of its disk surface and have severe difficulty accessing another small area.  I suspect that's what accounts for having a normal transfer rate that then completely stalls at a certain point.  Being able to browse files in Explorer isn't all that difficult because that mostly just requires the file system structure to be intact, not all of the files you're viewing.  If you're using a Windows version and Explorer view that attempts to create thumbnails of the content, then that does involve accessing the files themselves, but even a failure to retrieve certain thumbnails wouldn't stop you from browsing in general.

Out of curiosity, what tool did you use to scan and repair the drive?

Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Talented Member
jphughan - 1 November 2018 9:13 PM
Again the best test would be to test creating a backup to another destination, but based on the behavior you're reporting and the fact that you've already replaced USB cables and switched ports to no avail, it does sound to me like there might be a certain area of the disk that's having trouble being read and/or written.  It's actually not all that unusual for a drive to perform normally when accessing content on the majority of its disk surface and have severe difficulty accessing another small area.  I suspect that's what accounts for having a normal transfer rate that then completely stalls at a certain point.  Being able to browse files in Explorer isn't all that difficult because that mostly just requires the file system structure to be intact, not all of the files you're viewing.  If you're using a Windows version and Explorer view that attempts to create thumbnails of the content, then that does involve accessing the files themselves, but even a failure to retrieve certain thumbnails wouldn't stop you from browsing in general.

Out of curiosity, what tool did you use to scan and repair the drive?

I think it is the drive... I just did a format of the external drive then a full back up... seemed to go fast but slowed a lot as well.... once done it would not verify..  

I then tried to mount the image via file explorer And the software... it tried to assign a temp letter but nothing... just froze on the small assign message...

Do you agree that proves it.... I would try another but only have the one 😥

Better get one tomorrow as I now have no back up....
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I think that’s the overwhelming likelihood. You could always buy a new drive and return it if that somehow doesn’t solve the problem, but I suspect it will, in which case you needed the new drive anyway.
Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Talented Member
Well,  so far so good, been and purchased a new drive and just done a "full" backup, had to change the "xml" file as it is now drive "F" rather than "G" and forgot to check auto verification.. 

Manually verified the file and that works OK so I have enable "auto verify" ready for the next backup...

Just run an "incremental" and that works perfect ... I then mounted the image and it assigned the drive and opened the files.. 

Very strange how these things work perfect one minute then fail! I am going to try the new lead on the old drive just in case both mine are faulty, you never know, but I don't hold much hope lol 

Thanks for the advice....

Stuart
Edited 2 November 2018 12:14 PM by Stuart Tunstall
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)Expert (714 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
"Work perfect one minute then fail" is a typical failure mode of electronic stuff of any type. We typically think of disk failures as some clusters going bad, like your case indicates, but it is also possible for the drive's electronics to go bad and render the entire disk useless.
​I know its money, but your experience reinforces the need to have at least 2 backup disks. 
Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Talented Member
Seekforever - 2 November 2018 1:39 PM
"Work perfect one minute then fail" is a typical failure mode of electronic stuff of any type. We typically think of disk failures as some clusters going bad, like your case indicates, but it is also possible for the drive's electronics to go bad and render the entire disk useless.
I know its money, but your experience reinforces the need to have at least 2 backup disks. 

Funny enough that had crossed my mind.... I am thinking of getting another and running alternate days/weeks at least I would be covered...
Had a very sleepless night knowing if my notebook failed this morning I was "stuffed" as they say.... and at one time I never did a back up of any sorts.... :
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If you want to use a disk rotation, take a look at Reflect's "Alternative locations" feature.  It makes it easy to add alternate destinations so you can still manage everything from a single definition file.  When you have alternative locations active, Reflect will back up to whichever destination is available when a given backup job runs.  If you have more than one available, I think it uses the first one in the list, but the idea of a disk rotation is that you'd always have one of them physically offline at any given time as a safeguard.  Glad to hear you're back up and running though!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...