Retain Boot Menu option

Author
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When you ask Reflect to remove the boot menu option it removes the menu completly making access to the other windows recovery options more of an effor to get at.

Can there be an option to leave it enabled, so we don't have to run the command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Thanks

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V1809 B17763.134 MR v7.2.3858

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
My experience has been that as long as you have a non-zero timeout for the boot menu (you can set this using msconfig) and have more than one entry in your BCD, the boot menu shows.  Are you saying that when you have the Reflect boot menu option, you have at least 3 total entries in your BCD shown in msconfig, and when you remove just Reflect's, you still have two entries but your boot menu doesn't show at startup?  Or do you want to have the boot menu show even though you only have a single entry in your BCD? If it's the latter, then although I haven't tested this, it's possible that any update to the BCD, i.e. even outside Reflect, that leaves only one entry in the BCD brings back the default behavior of not showing the boot menu.  You could try this by adding the Reflect boot menu item, then using something like bcdedit to delete it manually and seeing whether the boot menu is preserved.  If it's not, then this doesn't seem like a fix Reflect could implement.  In that case,one workaround you could employ would be to create a duplicate BCD entry.  You could even make that copy more useful by tweaking it to automatically start in Safe Mode or something rather than having it sit there as an identical dummy copy.

Edited 31 October 2018 8:08 PM by jphughan
RayG
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)Advanced Member (527 reputation)
Hi John,

I have two entries in the boot menu but when Reflect removes it's entry the boot menu no longer appears. This as I said can at an administrative prompt be restored using:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Given that is a command that does not "Roll of the tongue" all I was asking was that Reflect carried out the above command if that is what the user wanted, an option.

Given they can add and remove boot entries it seems like an easy task and a small ask.

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V1809 B17763.134 MR v7.2.3858

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Oh ok, so something like a "Keep my boot menu available" checkbox under the "Remove boot menu entry" radio button.  Makes sense.  I was just asking if manually cutting down the BCD to a single boot entry via other means also causes the boot menu to disappear even if it was set to appear before when multiple entries existed.  If so, my point was simply that this outcome isn't really a problem created by Reflect, but rather how Windows is designed to operate when there's only one BCD entry left.  But now I get your point that even if that's the case, this could be considered an enhancement request.  In the meantime, if you haven't already thought of this, you could save that command as a batch file for faster execution if tinkering with your BCD is a frequent action for you.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...