WinRE intel 9260 wifi support not working?

Author
GoNz0
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When it creates the rescue media it copies the driver over but once booted into the rescue environment I have no adapters showing.

Can I do anything about this? 

Thanks.
Edited 31 October 2018 8:09 AM by GoNz0
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
I have a Dell XPS 15 9530 with an Intel WiFi 9260 and it's working fine.  What version of WinRE is your system building with?  Mine is WinRE 10 1803, and when I click the networking icon in the lower-right corner, I see the nearby WiFi networks.  The INF file in the WiFi driver folder on my Rescue Media is NetVWiFiBus.inf, which is a Microsoft VWiFi driver, but there's also a file in there called IntelWiFilhv06.sys.

If you go to the Restore menu and select View Unsupported Devices, are any network adapters listed?  If so, does manually loading the driver on your Rescue Media using that wizard work?

Edited 31 October 2018 2:28 PM by jphughan
GoNz0
GoNz0
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
It lists the 9260 and has the drivers in the networking folder but once booted to RE I have no network, click on network options and it is empty.

1809 is my version of RE
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Does the \Drivers\Net folder on your Rescue Media build have the same file I mentioned above?  Just curious if we're using the same package.  If so, I wonder if it's an issue with using WinRE 10 1809.  I didn't test that since I rolled back to 1803 after the data loss issues came to light.  I wasn't affected by them, but I figured if something like that made it through to release (even after it had been reported by multiple Insiders), then I didn't even want to think about what else might be wrong with it.

GoNz0
GoNz0
I have those files listed?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
GoNz0 - 31 October 2018 2:58 PM
I have those files listed?

Ok, then WinRE 10 1809 may be the culprit.  I might set it up in a VM and to build WinRE 1809 Rescue Media and then manually copy the driver package onto it and try booting my physical system with it.  If so I'll report back

GoNz0
GoNz0
Appreciate your help Smile
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, good news.  I've reproduced and worked around this issue, so if the same fix works for you, this should get you going until Macrium can delve into underlying cause.  I built WinRE 10 1809 Rescue Media from a VM and copied the network driver folder from my "real" Rescue Media (which uses WinRE 10 1803) over to the \Drivers\Network of this new VM-based build, then booted my actual laptop from it.  Like you, I did not see any available networks, even though my WinRE 10 1803 Rescue Media works fine with the same driver and same Reflect version.  However, when I went to the Restore menu (not the tab) and clicked View Unsupported Devices, there was a network controller listed.  I selected that, clicked Load Driver, browsed to the \Drivers\Network folder, and selected Netwtw06.inf.  Reflect happily loaded that driver and I then had WiFi.  So it looks like WinRE 10 1809 may have changed something that broke Reflect's automatic driver load at startup.

@Nick, heads-up on this one.

Edited 31 October 2018 3:40 PM by jphughan
GoNz0
GoNz0
Confirmed here as well, I will link this thread on my support ticket.

Thanks @jphughan
Andrew
Andrew
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)Macrium Representative (34 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi jphughan and GoNz0,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

To load drivers on startup, the rescue media uses the Drvload tool included as part of Windows PE/RE. It is possible that there is an issue with the Drvload included in Windows RE 1809 - unfortunately, Microsoft have pulled the 1809 update, so we've been struggling to find machines to test this issue on. Once Microsoft start rolling out the 1809 update again, we should be able to pin down exactly what's going on and push out a fix. In the meantime, jphughan's workaround (using the Unsupported Devices dialog) should work fine.

Kind regards,
Andrew - Macrium Support
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...