Running backups manually, without a schedule: Newbie question

Author
Al Nonymous
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If I configure a backup with a retention policy of, "Keep 2 full backups, 6 incrementals, and Create a Synthetic Full if possible" and do not define any schedule, am I correct that I can run it any time manually, and it will still follow the defined retention policy?

Purpose: A folder is only very infrequently modified, and the backup drive (a USB flash drive) is not constantly mounted - I will always know when I have modified the source folder, and wish to always manually insert and mount the backup flash drive and run the backup manually.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.5K reputation)
Yes, the retention policy is enforced independently of the schedule.  The easiest way to run regular manual backups is to step through the wizard and then choose the option to save the job as an XML file, which appears after you click Finish.  Then whenever you want to run it, go to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-click your job, select Run Now, and select the type of backup you want to run.

Al Nonymous
Al Nonymous
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Many thanks, jphughan, for clarifying that!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...