cannot restore mrimg files from external hard drive

Author
rker
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am using Macreim Reflect vers. 7 for backup and restore to windows 10. When I start MR it opens with a page showing my external hard drive on which I have two .mring files. The files were verified as having  no errors. When I do restore, the program does not seen these files and act as if no backup files .are on the computer. 
How do I get MR to see these files which were in a folder named USERS.   These files were deleted by the October update 2018 but are in these mring format which were made before the microsoft bug deleted them. 

Thank you

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
This post is a bit confusing. You say the MRIMG files you want to use to restore your system are on an external drive, but then you say they were originally in the Users folder, which would normally be on your C drive, and then you say they got deleted. So do you have the MRIMG files or not, and are they on an external hard drive or in your user profile folder? Or do you mean you’re trying to extract backups of OTHER files that got deleted from your Users folder out of these MRIMG files?

If you just want to extract certain files from the MRIMG backups rather than rolling your entire system back, then just select the desired backup and click Browse Image, then mount the partition(s) you want to view. At that point you can copy/paste whatever you want out of the mounted backup back to your hard drive.

If you want to use the MRIMG files to restore your entire system rather than just extract certain files, then boot your PC into Rescue Media and run the restore from there.

If you still have problems, it would be helpful to post the exact steps you’re performing and the exact error you’re seeing when you say MR acts as if no backup files exist. Ideally include a screenshot of the error.
Edited 13 October 2018 1:56 PM by jphughan
rker
rker
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
jphughan - 13 October 2018 1:37 PM
This post is a bit confusing. You say the MRIMG files you want to use to restore your system are on an external drive, but then you say they were originally in the Users folder, which would normally be on your C drive, and then you say they got deleted. So do you have the MRIMG files or not, and are they on an external hard drive or in your user profile folder? Or do you mean you’re trying to extract backups of OTHER files that got deleted from your Users folder out of these MRIMG files?

If you just want to extract certain files from the MRIMG backups rather than rolling your entire system back, then just select the desired backup and click Browse Image, then mount the partition(s) you want to view. At that point you can copy/paste whatever you want out of the mounted backup back to your hard drive.

If you want to use the MRIMG files to restore your entire system rather than just extract certain files, then boot your PC into Rescue Media and run the restore from there.

If you still have problems, it would be helpful to post the exact steps you’re performing and the exact error you’re seeing when you say MR acts as if no backup files exist. Ideally include a screenshot of the error.

thank you for your reply and help. I made a full backup of my C drive which had a folder called "users'. These backups are stored on an external hard drive.given the drive letter G.: Windows explorer shows the 'G' drive has two very large files ending as .mring. The user folder which had data is now empty having no bytes of data.  I would like to get the ;user; folder in these backups restored to the empty user folder on the C drive. The backup copies were created successfully on an external hard drive labeled with the letter G; Windows explorer sees G drive with  large  backup files .in the mrimg format.  I open MR and first see a screen showing <backup> A drive lettered G. along with drives C D F are seen on this screen. I click on <restore> and expect to see a screen with a button <open an image or backup file in windows explorer> I expect to see a backup selection labeled G with an unused letter drive added.Instead I get after clicking on <restore> I get the word <backup> in the upper left hand corner and the words <reflect defaults>  and <default connections level settings> lower down on the screen Whatever I try, I get this <reflect defaults> screen.
. .   
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Ok, I think I've figured out what you're doing.  First, I think you meant to say "compression level settings", not "connection level settings".  But it sounds like you mean to click the Restore tab and you're accidentally clicking the Edit Defaults button directly above it.  In the screenshot below, I've circled the Restore tab and placed an arrow next to the Edit Defaults button.  The Restore tab is NOT a label for the button above it; the tab and the button are completely separate items. That's why you're ending up at the unexpected window that deals with settings.  You need to click directly on the tab, not the button above it. Also note in the screenshot that I've circled the "Browse Image" option that you should be using if you only want to recover certain files rather than rolling your entire system back to the time of the backup. Hopefully this helps.

Edited 14 October 2018 5:46 AM by jphughan
rker
rker
jphughan - 14 October 2018 5:29 AM
Ok, I think I've figured out what you're doing.  First, I think you meant to say "compression level settings", not "connection level settings".  But it sounds like you mean to click the Restore tab and you're accidentally clicking the Edit Defaults button directly above it.  In the screenshot below, I've circled the Restore tab and placed an arrow next to the Edit Defaults button.  The Restore tab is NOT a label for the button above it; the tab and the button are completely separate items. That's why you're ending up at the unexpected window that deals with settings.  You need to click directly on the tab, not the button above it. Also note in the screenshot that I've circled the "Browse Image" option that you should be using if you only want to recover certain files rather than rolling your entire system back to the time of the backup. Hopefully this helps.

I got the files restored. Thank you for your help.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...