Improved option for purging old backups

Author
scrumpycyder
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Currently under the purge options, I can delete the oldest backup set if there isn't enough space - this space is a figure I have to specify though. It would be nice if Reflect had the option to just delete the oldest backup set if there wasn't enough space (i.e. it works out how big the backup set will be, then if there isn't enough space for it, then delete the oldest one). Currently I have to estimate how big the backup set will be and manually check for space.

thanks,

Nick
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
I'm not sure REFLECT is truly capable of calculating the size of any backup set whether it's an image or a Files & Folders backup.  It cannot guess the compressability <sp?> of the DATA it's about to backup or the amount of changes without going through a complete backup simulation of the partition/disk being processed, so the only criteria it can accurately use is the uncompressed size of the partition/disk it's about to backup.  I'm not sure waiting for that simulation to be performed is even worth it.

Anything else would just be a wild guess...

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Reflect can perform a purge to free up space in the middle of an active backup if needed, so there isn’t any reason to purge beforehand, nor is there any need for you to estimate anything. The reason for the configurable free space threshold is to allow users to guarantee that there will always be at least a certain amount of space left on that drive for some other purpose. But if you’re really willing to let your drive get almost completely full before anything gets deleted, you can set the free space threshold to something like 1GB.

However, you really shouldn’t use that as your primary deletion mechanism. That’s intended as a last resort to keep a new backup from failing, not as a substitute for setting a realistic retention policy. The reason is that the free space purge will only delete entire SETS rather than individual backups as the retention policy can. Depending on how often you capture a Full in your strategy, that means the free space threshold purge might end up knocking out a large chunk of backups when you could potentially have retained more of them if you’d had a more suitable retention policy.
Edited 12 October 2018 12:51 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...