WIndows OS Update to v1809 (Fall Creator's Upgrade)

Author
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The Microsloth rollout of this upgrade has been halted due to "issues."  Please see THIS LINK and scroll down to "Known Issues" for further details...

Edited 6 October 2018 12:52 PM by Froggie
Merlin
Merlin
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)

Yeah, I read about it. Not good having your data wiped out on update.
Should always image the drive before any kind of update like this.
Good thing I know of a really nice program that does that.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
That was my exact thinking until THIS occurred...
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Actually, in my experience, this is nothing new.  A few revisions ago, after Windows Update updated Window 10 to its latest refresh, Windows was randomly deleting files off of my HD.  I restored back and ran the installer fresh from an ISO burned DVD and it stopped doing that.

Unfortunately, I was one of those who got pushed 1809 on October 2nd, so I've already got it installed.  However, I don't see any mass deletions.  My guess is these deletions are only from Documents, where I don't store my documents.  My Windows partition only contains Windows, most of my installed (e.g. non-portable) programs, and a few pieces of data that are locked down and cannot be moved.  All of my user files are stored in different partitions, depending on their file type, on an external USB HDD.  e.g. a partition for sound files, one for graphics files, one for installers, etc.  Doing this has an added benefit of reducing the size of the Windows partition to backup with Reflect, reducing backup time and file size.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
The process I used was not an "upgrade" through Windows update but a Microsloth supplied digital ISO (media creation tool).  Since the problem appears to affect not a large amount of files but random ones, I cannot trust the upgrade as it may be a while before I actually realize what's possibly been affected by random file loses.

I consider it a serious issue... and it appears that Microsloth feels the same way at this juncture.

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Talented Member
Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)Talented Member (117 reputation)
I've been on 1809 for a few days on my laptop, and I too don't notice mass deletion of files .. but shortly after boot, I turned off Microsofts Storage Sense and it's voracious cleanup/delete files routines.   (I use CCleaner Pro, which I've trusted for years).

I reported one problem not related to Storage:  Microsoft Store and Microsoft Solitaire Collection failed to connect to Microsoft when the IPV6 stack was disabled.  Enabling it resolved the problem despite the fact that IPV6 is disabled on my router and can't get off my LAN.

I also have had two instances of the laptop going into mumble mode where nothing, including keys handled by the BIOS, had any effect for perhaps 45 seconds.  So far I've been unable to see anything with Task Manager or Process Explorer post-disruption to know where the culprit lies.

L. W. "Dan" Danz
Overland Park KS
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
I realize that, but your use of an ISO doesn’t rule out that Windows Update may have downloaded and started installing it in the background before you did that. Anyway, based on the heads-up in your other thread, it looks like I’ll be rolling back my own system. I too captured a Full image on 1803 before I ran the upgrade using a mounted ISO, and I did it about a few days before 1809 officially launched by using the Products.xml file to get the ISO direct download link from the Windows Update servers, so it definitely wasn’t pushed to my system before I ran the ISO upgrade. I’ll let you know what I end up with when I restore, but it won’t be for several hours.
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)Expert (751 reputation)
Actually, what are the specific details of it "deleting files?"  Is it just deleting Documents on update?  Thus, people lose everything in Documents only?  Or is it deleting large swathes of files from random locations at random times?  Is it ongoing deleting or just a one time delete at installation of the 1809 update?

Are there any details?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
From some Googling, the deletions seem to be confined to the user profile folder(s), but it doesn’t appear to be an all or nothing proposition, so just because you see some stuff in your Documents folder doesn’t mean you have everything.
dbminter
dbminter
Expert
That's what I'm trying to isolate.  If it just deletes things from user profiles or Documents, I don't have to worry about that as I don't store anything in Documents and do my best to change allowed user profile settings to my external USB HDD, e.g. I can change Waterfox and Firefox, but, insofar as I know, I can't change Chrome.  I'm worried about stuff randomly being deleted from my external USB HDD partitions.  If it's just relegated to Documents and user profile folders on the Windows partition, that shouldn't affect me.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...