Image Guardian disable context menu option

Author
dbminter
Expert
Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I don't enable Image Guardian because if I want to move an image from its location to somewhere, I have to disable Image Guardian.  I don't view ransomware attacking my images as a priority, so I don't enable this feature, but some do.  So, I was thinking maybe some kind of contextual menu item to disable Image Guardian for a particular image set might work.  Or an option to turn it off contextually and re-enable it by right clicking a Reflect image file set.

Just a thought.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)
I agree, it becomes cumbersome when I want to update a removeable drive - which does not need to have image guardian enabled but it gets enabled because I create the backup directly to the drive (as opposed to creating backup on a fixed drive and copying it to a removeable drive as I do with other backups).
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Drac144 - 4 October 2018 7:31 PM
I agree, it becomes cumbersome when I want to update a removeable drive - which does not need to have image guardian enabled but it gets enabled because I create the backup directly to the drive (as opposed to creating backup on a fixed drive and copying it to a removeable drive as I do with other backups).

@Drac144, there's a fix for your case.  Under Image Guardian settings, uncheck "Automatically protect local disks".  Image Guardian will no longer enable when you send a backup to a particular location, but it will stay enabled wherever you manually enable it, even if you disconnect and reconnect a partition where you had MIG enabled.  This does of course mean that you'd have to be judicious about manually enabling it on new partitions where you actually do want it.  Alternatively, if you need to continue creating some backups to this removable drive and manually update backups on that drive that were originally created to other destinations, you could create a batch file with a Robocopy command to achieve the desired replication from original destination to your removable drive.  By default, Image Guardian won't interfere with that, and saving a batch file somewhere gives you an easy way to trigger those updates.

Edited 4 October 2018 8:34 PM by jphughan
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)Expert (641 reputation)
Thanks, JP, I will give it a try.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...